on 17 October 2012
***As of January 3rd 2013 jelly bean update has been available***

I'll start by saying that I previously acknowledged tablets as being mostly a novelty device but could also see some of the media benefits also.

My birthday is in two days and my fiance surprised me by saying I could have any tablet that I wanted and of course I went into 'research mode' and looked at the Samsung tab 1 and 2, iPad 1, 2 and 3, the Asus tf300 and both transformer tablets. All of them have their positives and negatives, although I was never going to get an iPad is I'm not an apple fan, I'm always inclined towards power under the hood rather than the 'look its shiney' approach.

The galaxy note 10.1 offers the power, the looks and the functionality that anyone could possibly desire. Some review sites say this tablet is cheap looking and feels worse, I implore you to ignore them, its usually apple fans who say this, even I was a tad worried but the moment I held it in my hands I knew I'd made the right choice.

Amazon's listing of this product is wrong at the moment, this is indeed the quad core, 2gb ram and 16gb internal storage. I almost purchased this from another company due to poor listing but i have informed Amazon of their mistake and hopefully they will alter the listing.

One thing I do like on this tablet is the use of the pen, I've downloaded a free app called sketcher off the play market and it's brilliant. I would recommend people to download the Google chrome app straight away as the built in internet app can throw a few hissy fits now and then and chrome seems to work nicely on this tablet.

Now, onto the screen, I cannot believe that some reviewer websites said it wasn't good, are they looking at the back of the tablet, the pre loaded video shows how vibrant it truly is, the viewing angles are very good also, cannot complain at all.

Just for anyone who is curious, the pre loaded Photoshop app only allows editing from what I can tell, you can't start sketching in it, but it's free so have a play with your photos and it's a nifty little app. (someone has informed me that you can in fact create work from the PS app as well)

I would recommend that when you get this brilliant tablet you also order a 32GB micro sd card that is class 10, you've then got a lot of storage space for films, music and pictures you want on the go.

I've only had this tablet for about 4 days now and I haven't been able to make the most out of all the facilities it offers such as the multitasking split screen, and from what I have researched it is the only tablet on the market that truly multi tasks.

On a foot note, no need for a kindle anymore, downloaded the app and works great.

All in this has been a great purchase for me, and I'm very happy I took the plunge, who needs a laptop anymore!

EDIT 15th September - I have now been using this device more and more each day, I set up "Peel Remote" which comes pre-installed o nthe device which enables you to turn on, change channels, volume up down on many many TV's and blu ray players, i linked it up to two LG TV's very easily and also a Sony Blu Ray player. I'm a bit disappointed that it doesnt work on Playsations 3's but it is still a possibility for an update in the future!

I've carried out a few different battery life checks. I charged my Galaxy Note 10.1 up to 100% before i went to sleep at midnight and by morning (8 hours later) it had dropped to only 97%. That very day i used it very sparingly to just check the time and to do a quick browse whilst at work between 9AM and 5PM and the battery only dropped down to about 90%. Yesterday I used it a lot at work, setting up routers, browsing the web, watching some videos on youtube and netflix, the Note started the day on 52% and by the time I had gotten home It was still on 35% even though I'd not been cautious with it.

Pretty much what I'm saying is the battery seems excellent to me, I couldn't be more happy with it.

I've been spending a lot of time trying to fill up my 32GB Micro SD card with digital copies of the blu rays i possess and 99% of them have gone across very easily, my only fripe is that digital copies provided are not 720p or 1080p so im looking into some blu ray ripping software and a converter so I can at least play my films in HD otherwise having such a lovely screen is pointless!

EDIT - I have now put Avengers 1080p onto my tablet now and wow, it looks SO good on this tablet, and the best thing is, i wasn't suprised, i expected it to be good and it looked as great as i anticipated. The audio is the best ive heard on any tablet so far and actually much better than most laptops on the market (excluding the HP laptops with the beats audio)

I have ordered a 3rd party Case since my last edit and it seems to be sufficient for now until the official Samsung case is released, which i would imagine will be very well put together.

I shall add more to this review when I learn more things, I just think its such a shame that reviewing websites do not give this the recognition it deserves when I myself absolutely LOVE IT!
2727 Comments| 224 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse| Permalink
What's this?