5.0 out of 5 stars The Debut of An Amazing Artist, 21 Sept. 2005
This review is from: Antony And The Johnsons (Audio CD)
If you read the reviews of any of Antony's albums and EPs, here or the UK site, you may find that being rendered speechless after listening to his music is mentioned frequently. I consider this not only accurate but also likely to happen to anyone who may listen to this, his debut, album or its follow-up, the Mercury Prize winner "I Am A Bird Now."
It has been a long time since a singer or songwriter -Antony is both- has moved me so deeply with the dramatic range of his voice, the enveloping depth of his melodies or the courage of his words.
Just consider "Cripple And The Starfish" and "Hitler In My Heart," the second and third cuts, that -particularly if listened together- will absolutely floor you with the tender courage of their lyrics and the glorious beauty of Antony's voice.
For those who may not know his work, I may not be able to offer the kind of references that can serve them well. In term of genre, you can't call it Pop or Alternative, for instance, and expect to have a reliable idea of what you'll hear. If I have to put a style label to this music I'd have to coin a new one, "Alterative," because that's exactly what it might do to you: alter you.
Finally, since I haven't mentioned them yet, a word about The Johnsons. Their sound -almost a chamber ensemble, with the addition of drums and bass- is particularly suited for this music and exquisitely performed. "Divine," a beautiful tribute to the star of many John Waters films, "Twilight" and "The Atrocities" are another three great examples of the band's gift for accompanying Antony.
Although, to my taste, I Am A Bird Now of some songs in the recent EPs (I've reviewed them too, in their pages- may be even more mature statements, this album must be given your full attention. This is a solid five-star album and the first powerful document of an amazing new voice.

[Add comment]