5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding, 2 Nov. 2010
This review is from: Band On The Run (Audio CD)
A classic album given a well deserved re-issue. I remember playing this non stop when it came out, I had enjoyed the wings stuff and while McCartney's first few albums after the Beatles all contained some fantastic tracks - this was the one where it all came together with a strong set of tracks that have survived the test of time. It's nice quality although I agree with a previous reviewer that it's hard to really appreciate the re-mastering if you listen with an 'average' ear like myself. While I am agreeing with the same previous reviewer he is also right about the strange lack of Denny Laine - I'd love to know how he feels about this re-issue and the memories.
An interesting booklet and Gambaccini piece, I think I can actually remember the 1973 interview it came from which is a little worrying, but those were the days where anticipation was half the pleasure..
A good second cd with the extras, I rather enjoyed the one hand clapping stuff some nice versions in there and worthy of repeated listening.
While the dvd is mildly interesting I kind of doubt it is one I will watch very often much of it is not great quality and I am not sure it adds much to the whole package - I would rather have had a copy of the Channel 4 documentary shown the day before this was issued.
As I lurched through my teens in the 70's I think I was kept sane by Pink Floyd, David Bowie, Mike Oldfield and McCartney. Here Band on the Run gets the treatment it deserves and has brought back some very happy memories, Goodness knows how my Dad put up with me playing this non stop!!!
If this is not in your collection, now is the time to add it. Recommended, this is one of the world's greatest at the top of his game.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 18 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 3 Nov 2010 11:51:17 GMT
Why are you worrrying about something you can recall from 1973? Good for you! Surely it's when you CAN'T remember that you should worry!

In reply to an earlier post on 3 Nov 2010 12:49:35 GMT
Nick Brett says:
Mr Rogers, a very valid point and I feel a bit better now. And of course music was so much better then as well.......!

In reply to an earlier post on 3 Nov 2010 13:25:17 GMT
Didn't Denny Laine have a big falling out with McCartney? Over alleged non payment of royalties or something of that nature?

In reply to an earlier post on 3 Nov 2010 13:28:47 GMT
Nick Brett says:
I do remember a falling out, but presume Denny Laine will benefit from this release so surprised that they didn't come to some agreement to make the release more complete and reflective of those involved.....

In reply to an earlier post on 3 Nov 2010 19:08:14 GMT
bobby morrow says:
It's by far the best Wings album, though I did quite like 'London Town' a few years later. Wings were a great singles band, but some of the albums tested the patience! Haven't decided whether to get this new version of BOTR yet. I have the 1993 and 1998 editions and I can't see how they can improve on the remastering much more, but your review is funny and informative and made me think fondly of 1973 again!

In reply to an earlier post on 3 Nov 2010 20:22:02 GMT
Bobby,
Thanks for your kind words, they were the 'good old days' when we had 'proper' music!
Nick

In reply to an earlier post on 4 Nov 2010 22:12:11 GMT
J.A. Smith says:
bobby morrow, you really should get this release, it trumps both the 1993 and 1998 editions by a long shot. The instruments, in particular the drums, sound as if they are in the same room as you. I was unsure like you but it converted me :)

In reply to an earlier post on 5 Nov 2010 21:03:41 GMT
Mr J. A. Smith,

I'm a total sucker for remastered/repackaged/special editions etc. It means I have my entire collection 3 or 4 times over! For some reason, Amazon have the 2 CD 1 DVD version for 8.95 as I write (a mistake?) so I should surely strike now!

In reply to an earlier post on 6 Nov 2010 00:41:04 GMT
Bobby,
Buy it, that's about £2 cheaper then I paid Amazon less then a week ago!

Yeah there are certain albums that I must have bought many times over but it's so hard to resist the extras!

Have to say I am enjoying everybody's comments on this review, delighted it has brought back so many memories for me and some of you too!
Nick

In reply to an earlier post on 6 Nov 2010 10:59:15 GMT
bobby morrow says:
Yes, I've ordered it! This will be my 3rd BOTR on CD. I nearly bought the DTS one a few years ago too! As I said before, when all the other McCartney/Wings titles are reissued, I don't think there'll be too many more I'll get. 'Tug Of War', probably. 'London Town', maybe. 'Wings At The Speed Of Sound', definitely not!
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›

Review Details

Item

Reviewer

Nick Brett
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)

Location: Wiltshire, England