5.0 out of 5 stars LG Optimus 2X - Sublimely good, 19 Jan. 2012
This review is from: LG Optimus 2X P990 HD Android Sim Free Mobile Phone - Black (Wireless Phone Accessory)
SUMMARY: Excellent phone, recommended purchase :-)

I've seen a lot of negative criticism of this product when looking at getting best value for money phone. All I can say is this phone is excellent. It is VERY fast, VERY smooth, has not crashed once since receiving it a few days ago, and making sure you do long charges/discharges for the first few charge cycles, the battery life is actually very good even on the "stock" (original) ROM. If you get one and it isn't performing as expected, just contact amazon for a replacement or contact LG. Both will help you.

I went to the LG website and downloaded the "USB Driver" and the "Software Update", and that enabled me to upgrade to the latest "Gingerbread" (it's alphabetical, it's Release 'G') O/S. The phone is now almost flawless in operation. I have had no crashes, no problems. The screen really is excellent, although I can see what people say about light bleed from the top, although it really isn't an issue in my opinion. The screen is responsive.

Would I recommend this phone? Yes, absolutely. Would I mention that you 'might' have to be prepared to send it back for a replacement? Yes, but only because of the online reviews.

My previous phone was a Toshiba TG01 that was pretty quick, but so far this phone is blowing it out the water in pretty much every department.

The only bad thing I can see so far is the back cover, it really is a pain to get off. Also, aftermarket support (i.e. accessories) are not the most plentiful, but I have easily easily got an extended battery, decent cover, screen protector etc.

Video's play extremely smooth, sound is good, games play very well, I really can't fault this phone with the exception that I haven't yet managed to figure out how to add my hotmail 'folders' rather than just basic inbox/outbox etc.

Styling/Looks : 4 out of 5
Performance: 5 out of 5
Battery life: 4 out 5 (Even though you see if get a bad reviews on this, it is actually good).
Accessories: 4 out of 5 (headphones could be better, but it came with an HDMI cable)

Basically, you profit in getting this VERY powerful phone cheaply because it got off to a poor start when introduced last year. Buy it :-) (I got mine for £199 SIM Free from Amazon). For this price I really cannot say a bad word about the phone. It feels solid, performance exceptionally well, looks good, the screen is excellent quality in my opinion, and the Operaing system (Android) will be getting updated by LG to the latest revision (ICS / Ice Cream Sandwich) this year.

I mean reading back through what I have just -badly- written I hope you don't get the wrong impression. This really is an excellent phone for the money. If it was the same price as the Samsung Galaxy SII I would likely get that instead.... but it's not... it's about half the price and SIM Free.. meaning you can just get a sim from somewhere like 'giffgaff' for £10 a month and be very happy, and not be stuck in a stupid 24 month contract, or try to get scammed with phone insurance when they try to supply it with a contract phone.

*NOTE: A lot of people including me will be putting different "ROM's" on this phone to make it even better, less bug prone, better on the battery, faster etc. You don't have to do this, as it's very good at stock... but if you talk to people in the ROM world they will say the stock ROM sucks... when really it doesn't. Anyway.. buy it, and enjoy it ;-)

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-6 of 6 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 27 Jan 2012 19:18:33 GMT
John F. says:
I agree with your comment regarding 'giffgaff'. I've never been tied into a monthly contract, always PAYG. 'giffgaff' offers decent rates as well as decent contract-type 30 day PAYG top-up style schemes. Offers flexibility and runs on the O2 network.

Now I can't decide whether to get this LG or the Samsung Galaxy S Plus. The Samsung has a 1.4Ghz processor and the AMOLED screen. Though this LG seems more attractive in terms of the HDMI output and the added camera flash.

Posted on 16 Feb 2012 13:18:56 GMT
Last edited by the author on 16 Feb 2012 13:20:35 GMT
Speaking of extended batteries, which one did you get for your phone? Have you had any luck with that? To be honest that is my only gripe with this phone. I just bought a 1800 mah battery off ebay but I'm not sure if its any better than the stock one. Need to confirm after a few charge/discharge cycles though.

As an aside, I am also on giffgaff and it has been the best decision of my life (ok exagerrating there a bit). I have no issues with the network and am getting mobile internet at HSDPA speeds (almost 2.5 MBps!!). For a tenner a month it is an absolute bargain!

Posted on 16 Feb 2012 13:29:46 GMT
Even I have the same problem with Hotmail folders. I can therefore not see all of my emails, only the one's I haven't filed away to a specific folder.

Have tried many apps including the stock email app, K9 mail (my current preference), the Android Hotmail app, but none seem to have that feature :-( Have you managed to figure it out?

In reply to an earlier post on 26 Feb 2012 01:05:47 GMT
Hi,

I hadn't realise I had generated comments! To be straight DO NOT BOTHER WITH AFTERMARKET BATTERIES. The one's claiming to be 2430mah, 1980mah etc and most of the times highly unlikely to be better than the stock battery, and even worse they are worse than the stock battery most of the time AND do NOT include a temperature sensor for safety :-(

However, if you really need the extra power and are prepared to A) not have a fitted case B) Prepared to accept there is no temp sensor, the you can do as I have an buy one of the 3500mah batteries from amazon (or elsewhere) for about £5. They are not 3500, they are between 2000 mah and 2400mah in practice, as long as you don't get a duff one. I've bought two so far. One to take apart and use as a casing for two OEM batteries to make a true 3000mah battery with a temp sensor :-D and the other just because I wanted another extended case.

As for networks, I've just dropped my own orange contract (25 a month) and now using the wife's old orange contract till July, then I will jump to giff gaff :-) Highly recommended carrier who are basically O2 but cheaper.

BTW.. as mentioned don't bother with the Andida or Gold batteries, waste of money, just go to the LG UK website, click on support, and find the supplier for parts. I bought two genuine batteries for £8.49 each from them.

In reply to an earlier post on 26 Feb 2012 01:08:10 GMT
Matthew says:
HOTMAIL folders: Yes, go on to the android market and download (for free) the official hotmail application from 'SEVEN' developers. It sorts out the hotmail issue. I don't bother using the stock email application any more, it's pants.

In reply to an earlier post on 26 Feb 2012 01:15:40 GMT
Matthew says:
I'm not dissappointed I went with this phone, it's been very good so far. So good I have risked 'rooting' the phone, installing CWM (Clock Work Manager - for recovery and ROM's), managed to install the latest V20Q android build that has come from LG Italy (it's not released in the UK yet), and put on a custom kernel, oh and have it overclocked as well lol (to a safe 1.3Ghz up from 1Ghz).

The screen is lovely, he camera very good, and wifi is excellent. I especially like the DLNA feature the call 'smartshare' :-)

My ONLY concern with the phone is that 512MB is not really enough for Ice Cream Sandwich when it comes out, but the guys at XDA Developers seem to think it will be OK (as they have early ICS builds before the official release from LG comes out).

Oh, and just to put people's minds at rest... most of the problems with the phone have been dealt with by the official V20G release... just waiting for the official V20Q release in the UK to come out, OR ICS to be released.

Highly recommended phone :-)

NOTE: I have found that some applications seem to cause issues with the phone, so I uninstalled those as the phone was becoming unresponsive.... and if all else fails, turn your phone off, hold down volume down and the power button and it will factory reset the phone.

First thing to do when you get the phone.. update the software via the LG Updater (from their website).

Oh and if you have the GPS problem, make sure you leave GPS on ALL the time.. it won't use it unless it has to, so it's not a battery issue.. but if you turn it off and turn the phone back on without it on.. the GPS won't work, so remember to keep it on folks :-) (EVERY phone has foibles.. I'm just telling you about this particular one :-) )
‹ Previous 1 Next ›