Learn more Download now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Mamma Mia 2 Mamma Mia 2 Mamma Mia 2 Learn more Shop Fire Shop Now Learn More Shop now Shop now Learn more

10 August 2016
In Loving Memory
I know I should have re-read Winona Kent’s previous novel about the adventures of Charlie (Mrs. Collins) and Mr. Shaun Deeley, “Persistence of Memory” first, but as I was too greedy to dig into her new one her short story “Perhaps an Angel” from the Fable Press collection “Fable’s Carnival” had to do the trick to get me reacquainted with the two of them. I’ve read the book in one go at the evening that lead into the ‘Day of the Book’ – how appropriate.
From page one, sentence one I was again drawn into the story, and couldn’t help but again fall in love with the characters Ms. Kent brought to life. I hardly knew anything about the Blitz before, coming from Germany with parents too young to remember and WWII wasn’t much of a subject in school. As my history teacher was so fond of the Greeks and Romans, we barely made it to the Napoleonic area. So for me the novel was not only entertaining but also a lesson in British history.
I don’t want to give too much away of the story, but this time not only Charlie and Mr. Deeley travel through time and space. We learn that there are way more of such travelers - in fact there is an organization that keeps a watchful eye on their travels, and that time does exist in more than one way. Charlie also learns about her ancestors – or aren’t they?
Ms. Kent’s new novel “In Loving Memory“ is brilliant, funny and heart-warming, and at some point even a bit gut wrenching and bloody - and I love her nod to Sean Bean. After all, Ms. Kent is a fan of Sean, as in 1995 she created the first ever fansite about him, “The Compleat Sean Bean” which unfortunately is no longer active but still serves as an archive of Mr. Bean’s work up to 2009.
One more thing, “In Loving Memory“ has a bonus short story attached which is the lead-in to her follow-up novel set in London’s Swinging Sixties.
0Comment Report abuse Permalink