3.0 out of 5 stars Almost perfect!, 5 Feb. 2014
This review is from: HighPoint RocketRAID 2720SGL 8-Port PCI-Express 2.0 x8 SAS/SATA 6Gb/s RAID Controller with RAID 6 Support (Personal Computers)
You may be wondering why I gave this 3 stars and said "Almost perfect!"... Well let me explain:

I've never used another RAID card so I have nothing to compare it to, however, this seems to provide wonderful performance for my uses (RAID 5 with 4 x 4TB Seagate Barracudas) giving me approximately 450MB/s read and write (sequential) at optimal performance and it's relatively easy to set up and use.

However, for the first couple of weeks that I had this, it worked perfectly and my boot times had not been affected (other than a 10 second BIOS screen). But after a couple of weeks, my Windows boot time heightened to around 10 minutes, which at first seemed very ridiculous. Fortunately, I don't often switch my computer off so it's not a great nuisance, but I don't know why it does it and I can't figure out how to stop it. My computer works perfectly other than that, as does this card, but it's certainly something I can't figure out and does bug me. I'm assuming it's something to do with some drivers somewhere in my computer, whether it be the ones for this card or something else.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-5 of 5 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 8 Sep 2014 16:14:31 BDT
Traffic says:
So you marked down the card's rating because your system has an issue that may or may not be driver related?
OK then....

In reply to an earlier post on 21 Sep 2014 22:35:34 BDT
The Geezer says:
why didnt you try booting without the card tos ee if the card or drivers is the issue?

In reply to an earlier post on 22 Sep 2014 18:32:16 BDT
John says:
Well my computer was fine before I added this device in. And besides, whether it's driver related or not, they're what come with this product and as such are part of it.

The issue randomly resolved itself around a month or two ago however, and it's been great since.

In reply to an earlier post on 22 Sep 2014 18:35:34 BDT
John says:
I did; that's the only way I could install Windows for starters.

When I needed to restart a number of times in a short period - installing other device drivers and things like that - I would switch the card off (motherboard switches) and the computer would boot as fast as it should with an SSD - thus it was definitely something to do with the card and or its communication with my motherboard.

I've actually just moved the card and my drives from my main computer to a server and I haven't had a single issue with it in there. I'd almost always get issues when leaving the computer on for over 40 hours but the card has been in the server with the server on for 4 days now without fail.

Posted on 5 Aug 2015 13:57:42 BDT
Chris Grundy says:
I have experienced the same issue you describe with this card. Unfortunately I was not able to find a resolution, but suspect it may be something to do with the 4TB drives.

I did find that verifying the array helped clear the issue, but it would come back more or less straight away. I have checked all the data and disks and there are no issues there. The issue goes away with the card disconnected.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›