on 20 March 2013
My first review on Amazon, but felt compelled to say something about this product as I'm very impressed.

Firstly: A lot of people have complained about how difficult this is to set up. I found no problems at all with set up. To be honest I followed the (slightly obscure due to being badly translated) instructions and had it all up and running on wireless in less than 20minutes. I accept some people may have less experience of fiddling with networks, but the only thing that had to be done was to set the camera IP to be on the same subnet mask as your router. This was accomplished by running the included application following the instruction leaflet. So please do not be put off because you think this will be hard to set up. It really isn't. (If you do have problems then you could search for a review by a gent called El Greco - he has a guide and has helped a lot of people get started with this camera. Or you could reply to this post).

Just to confirm, to use this camera (once initial set up is complete) all you need is the camera plugged into a power socket and a wireless network to connect to. You don't need to leave a computer on somewhere.

Ok, the goods and bads
GOOD:
1) Picture quality is good for the price. 640x480 and up to be 30fps of MJPEG. With this resolution you can easily make out detail - good enough for security applications.
2) Night vision: Really impressed! There is a ring of Infra red LEDs that light up when it gets dark (these are just visible to naked eye) and they flood the scene so that the (albeit) black and white pic is full of detail and looks like it is shot during daylight. The reach (distance) of the IR LEDs is probably limited but I've not found any limitations in my application.
3) Web access: Yes, you can access this over the web (i.e. away from your LAN - I used firefox) and set up is straight forward - just open a port in your router.
4) Phone Access: Yes, there are several apps which can view and control this camera for your Android (and I'm sure IPhone).
5) Alarm/Motion Detection: yes. You can easily set it up to email you when it detect movement. It will send you 7 or 8 pics from the point it detect movement. You can select when you want this Alarm period to be enabled - each day down to about 30mins resolution. Fiddly, but very flexible. There is an option to upload to FTP and a few others that I've not looked into.
6) Relays/Home Automation. No info about this included in the box but when I drive the Camera with the android app there are a couple of buttons that operate relays in the camera. There is a terminal box at the back (green block shown in the amazon pics) which you could probably use to switch stuff on and off with. I've not experimented with that yet though. There is also speaker jack plug on the back. I've not used the mic or speaker function yet.
7) Reliable: So far it has not crashed on me. I've only had it a day though, but from some reviews I was expecting to have to reboot it every 30 mins. No reboots required yet.
8) Pan/Tilt: Controlled from web browser or phone app. A nice touch is you can set it not to run its self check of running through full pan and tilt - useful if you want to make sure the camera always boots facing a certain direction. The motors in operation (pan/tilt) make a quiet hum. I think mounting the camera correctly would make them even quieter.
9) Build quality: better than I was expecting for the price. Time will tell how it lasts.

BAD:
1) a nice feature would be the ability to turn the IR LEDs off. They seem to be on all the time when it is dark.
2) Instructions are lacking. They are just about adequate, covering the basic setup enough to get most people up and running quickly.

Conclusion:
You can't go wrong at this price. If you want a cheap IP camera that has plenty of features then I'd buy this. I will probably buy another one. Contact me if you have any questions.
1111 Comments| 133 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse| Permalink
What's this?