on April 14, 2009
I love this film, although I have seen a fair few reviews putting it down. Maybe we move in different circles, as I found the characters to have a lot of credibility - I have bumped into a Grouch (Phil Daniels) once or twice in my little lifetime, honest! Mind you, that side box was over-the-top enough to make me chuckle. Grouch stole this film, in my opinion. Just want to pick him up and cuddle him, he's such a softy sweetheart, naïve in all the right places. Fred (Gary Stretch, phwah!) is on the point of an epiphany, realising how important his daughter is to him. Fred needs to choose between what he wants and what he thinks he wants. Tyg (Geoff Bell) is an almost sobering influence on the trio. His character seems shadowed by his mates, but he needs to be there as a foundation for the trio. I'm sure a lot of people have met a Mole (sorry, don't have the actor's name). I know one in particular I'd love to pull such a stunt on, but can't mention him publicly - he's quite well known in my world and it might put ideas into the wrong (or right?) people's heads. When grouch read the paper report in Mrs Welsh Lady's shop, I chuckled!
My main concern was what our real Wessex lads think of seeing themselves portrayed as neatly combed Power Rangers, unorganised and generally dippy. Next time I bump into one, maybe I'll be tanked up enough to ask (then run!).
I hear MAG were a bit dubious about this film at first, but these characters do exist, though they seem to be becoming few and far between. Watching this film makes me realise what a duller world it will be when the likes are gone. Guess we'll have to give up the ghost to a nine-to-five, second-mortgage existence.
I'd like to says a great big THANKYOU to Jon Ivay. I found a lot of realism throughout the film, sad, tender moments mixed with cracking humour which gets us through from birth to death. Having grown up on the likes of Cheech and Chong and the Fabulous Furry Freak Brothers, congrats to the team for the most descriptive and credible trip scene I can recall ever seeing!
I'm putting the word around about this film. I don't think it had half the publicity in the general market as it deserves. I'll be looking out for Ivay in the future. Well done and take it easy, bro.
0Comment| 10 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse| Permalink
What's this?