on 21 December 2010
After dabbling in drums as a teen (over 20 years ago) and playing air drums to heavy metal since then, I decided to take the plunge and ket my own kit. While I was able to drum away contentedly, I quickly realised that I was going to have to put some hours in to get some polish to my technique and bought this book to provide some structure to that practice. I also liked the idea of starting right from the beginning as while I may be able to cope easily with the basics of drumming, I wanted to check whether I had any bad habits that needed to be corrected.

When I first looked at the book I felt quite dismayed as it looked like 40 pages of music scores, but I sat down with the book and the CD and worked through the first section and suddenly realised how the whole thing was going to work. In isolation, the book would be difficult to work with but with the CD, you hear the author talking out instructions and playing along with the beats. It facilitates practice as you can work on one page, step by step, and build your technique as you listen again and again to the tracks. The drum notation teaching builds up from basics too, so while I was intimidated by it initially I'm starting to really enjoy the fact that I am learning drum notation as well as practical technique.

The great thing about this is that you are effectively getting drum lessons which you can work through in your own time, as fast or slow as you like.

I highly recommend this.
0Comment| 8 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse| Permalink
What's this?