VINE VOICEon 23 December 2001
The author says that this book provides the most important key of all time to life and living, and that this is the one key that all the other books on success have left out: we create by feeling, not by thought!
I was surprised by this claim. I don't know what Lynn Grabhorn had been reading in all her years of research, but the books I'd read certainly talked about feelings. That aside, however, no book gives feelings the concentrated attention that this one does and I applaud it for that.
I did wonder, too, how such a simple truth could fill a whole book. I was expecting to encounter quite a lot of "padding." But this fear was also dispelled. Lynn Grabhorn's is grounded not just by research, but by years of personal experience and years of running workshops. This depth of knowledge shows through. Every possible rational objection, self-deception and practical stumbling block is tackled with commendable thoroughness.
Where this book really scored for me was in opening my eyes to the very subtle ways in which a "don't want" can masquerade as a "want" - it isn't enough to find a positive affirmation or goal if we are not also in the right "feeling place" to bring it about. It also helped me to see that even when I was generally in the right feeling place for a particular goal, I could still be in the wrong feeling place about some of the important details.
As you might expect, the book devotes a lot of time and attention to the practical business of putting yourself in the right feeling place, and finishes up with a thirty-day plan to get you started. And it's all good, well-argued stuff.
So the book delivers what it promises, and does so with a personal style like no other book in this field. Lynn Grabhorn won me over with her down to earth candour. She is very honest about her own failures as well as successes, her own bad attitudes as well as good. She doesn't create the impression that it's an "easy" matter of changing your feelings, so nobody who reads this book will be inclined to write themselves off after the first little failure. I for one was convinced by this book that a little persistence would bring results well worthy of the effort.
0Comment| 71 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse| Permalink
What's this?