on 19 August 2013
Before I wasted yet more money on another useless book on procrastination (I have bought at least 8 books down the years) I 'Looked Inside' to see whether the writer actually showed the smallest inkling of understanding what procrastination is all about. Sadly, it doesn't appear so. The first pages go on with the usual guff about Happiness, Willpower, Laziness, Getting Things Done. As I am not about to spend more money I didn't read further - I've seen it all before.
Most books on this subject are the equivalent of a doctor saying: 'Pull yourself together!' They are meant for those who I call, for want of a better classification, Amateur Procrastinators. These are people who really just lack structure in their lifestyle, are often just lazy and really need a sharp kick.
Professional Procrastinators are a different breed entirely. No amount of Make a List instructions (usually the first piece of 'advice' - if only these advisors understood the reality of procrastination...) can get past this reality. I have been battling mine for more than 60 years. I have had various therapies, tried all the suggestions, researched most of the methods. There is, rather wonderfully, a whole University Department devoted to this subject. When you visit their website the first thing the Eminent Professor who leads the department says is that you should make a list and then just try and do one thing a day.... I nearly wept. If only it were that easy. It doesn't matter how many PhD's and degrees you have if you haven't even tried to understand this basic distinction between the two types - and then tried to find a way to help the second, more seriously handicapped ones - the Professionals.
Sorry to be so negative. I wish I had somewhere that I could direct those of you reading this to for relief from this endlessly distressing condition. I don't. Maybe we should form an AA-type organisation - doesn't have to be anonymous.
Some might be wondering how it is that I am managing to write this diatribe? Well, my form of the dis-ease means that I can respond if I do so Immediately. A short while ago the Magazine Psychologies ran an article emblazoned on their cover as The One-Hour Cure for Procrastination. It was the usual list-making rubbish. They had even set up a website for discussion. I bought the magazine with the full intention of writing to them and participating in the web discussion. I haven't. Other Pro Procrastinators will understand. It's only that this book came up as an Amazon Suggestion for me and I have been able to respond immediately.
For the Pros - don't bother to buy this book.
What's this?