Learn more Download now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle Learn More Shop now Shop now Learn more

on 12 September 2013
The book is about a French girl who went on to becoming Queen Margaret of England, wife of Henry VI.

I've had some expectations about this book - the story was too good to screw up and the autor had written dozens of books before this one.
Somehow I knew it was too good to be true.
The story is good but the writing.... It is so incerdibly simple, with such a small wocabulary, that it read like one of those tiny books we read in school in English classes, where they take a giant novel like "The Count of Monte Cristo" and compress it to 30 pages.
The author suffers, among many other things, from the "tell, not show" syndrom, so sometimes it reads like an encyclopedia entry.

One thing made me laugh - talking about childish writing, the are a lot of sentenses like "____ was his friend. He liked ____" or "____ was her enemy. She didn't trust ____".
The only thing that came to my mind reading that is Lister reading a book for cats: "See Dick run. Run, Dick, run. Run home,Dick".

Perhaps I am the wrong demographic and it is a book for kids but the main reason I would not recommend this for anyone above 10 years old is the complete inabillity of the author to write characters: everything is definitive, everything is black-or-white - those we like, they're our friends, those we hate, they're our enemies. And the title character, Margaret d'Anjou is so very useless, it's a shame to waste words, but I think I shall - I've watched a BBC production of "Henry VI" (I'm currently reading the play itself) with Margaret in it and though I've found her insufferable and vile, she is still more of a character, more of a woman than Plaidy's pathetic attemp at writing a human being.

Another one for the "unfinished" pile.
|1414 Comments|Report abuse| Permalink