5.0 out of 5 stars After installing this, every other PC is slow, 1 Jan. 2013
This review is from: Samsung 840 Series 250GB 2.5 inch SATA Solid State Drive (Accessory)
Really impressed, I ignored the software supplied.
* Put the SSD into a DIGIFLEX 2.5 Sata to USB Hard Drive Caddy HDD Enclosure Case Laptop and PC parts (Which I bought for an external drive and for the purpose I have just used it)
* Cloned it using Paragon Hard Disk Manage 11 Suite, took about 25mins because I let it copy all the bloatware as well.
* I will perform a clean install sometime, I just had to check it out.
* The laptop I have is a new Dell Inspiron 17R SE, one of the things that let it down is the 5400rpm HDD, ok no Dell warranty now but what a machine.
* Everything runs quicker, from boot up to opening photo elements, web pages, the lot.
* The battery life of the laptop was nothing great, that's changed, for the better.
* I regularly have multiple web pages open and the fan would kick in, no more.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 15 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 1 Jan 2013 14:54:26 GMT
A. Khanna says:
Hi. I got the same Inspiron 17RSE probably with the same specs as yours. Just wanted to know that did your laptop have caddy for secondary hdd or did you have to buy any other items too to get it working?

In reply to an earlier post on 1 Jan 2013 15:35:46 GMT
Last edited by the author on 1 Jan 2013 15:44:05 GMT
Dave G says:
The secondary bay has everything bar the screws to secure you drive to it. Not a problem as one should be able to get them locally, that is where my 1T original drive is going to end up :). Hope this is a help. If not please ask.

In reply to an earlier post on 1 Jan 2013 18:53:28 GMT
A. Khanna says:
Thank you for the info. Actually the confusion was around 100s of videos online showing hdd/sdd swaps where i ended up lookin for inspiron 17r and not 17r SE. There is a huge difference in them 2 itself apart from SE :). Checked the manual, opened up 2 screws and voila, found what i needed. Havent bought it yet, due to the previous confusion. Plus theres millions to choose from these days.

In reply to an earlier post on 1 Jan 2013 21:39:13 GMT
Last edited by the author on 5 Jan 2013 17:05:34 GMT
Dave G says:
yep, 2 screws and all is revealed, buy it. It's great, Yea there are a lot some cheaper but I rate this one highly, hope I don't live to regret this :). Need anymore help? just come on here,
Cheers

Posted on 18 Mar 2013 23:59:14 GMT
N. Long says:
Hi DG "Dave", I also have a new Dell Inspiron 17R SE (running Windows 8) and tried the Samsung 840 Pro using the Samsung supplied data migration software. My computer fails to boot from the SSD with a black screen and the error ">>start pxe over ipv4" displayed. Please could I check that you were running Windows 8? If you were and you managed the change with Paragon's software I might try that.
Many thanks for any advice you can spare.
Best Wishes,
Nick

In reply to an earlier post on 19 Mar 2013 14:37:00 GMT
Hi Nick,

I am using Windows 7,sorry.

I gathered from other reviews that the supplied software was not fit for purpose. I am assuming you have formatted the SSD and that it is recognised by Windows before cloning. If you are using the same method as me, i.e. caddy, it might be worth a try with any other migration software, maybe trialware or Paragon if you have it.

I am sorry I can't be of more help but the only thing I know about Windows 8 is I don't like it.
If this isn't clear please let me know, I really don't like to see people in bother.

Dave

In reply to an earlier post on 19 Mar 2013 14:42:22 GMT
N. Long says:
Dave, many thanks for taking the time to reply and to help me out. Thanks for the helpful answer. People like you make Amazon a pleasurable place to shop.
Best Wishes, Nick

Posted on 11 Apr 2013 23:53:41 BDT
J. Stevenson says:
Just to note replacing the HDD on a dell laptop doesn't void the warranty, just like upgrading the RAM. If they find them to be the source of the fault you're sending it back for then they will charge you. But the chances of an SSD or RAM killing a system isn't near zero. So yeah, don't worry about that.

In reply to an earlier post on 12 Apr 2013 12:05:33 BDT
Last edited by the author on 12 Apr 2013 12:09:17 BDT
Dave G says:
Thank you J. Stevenson for your response to my review. I can only think that Dells policy has changed, as this is rather a long story I will 'bullet' it, ok?
> Round about 2006 a friend asked me to look out for a desktop PC for her
> I received a mail shot from Dell, hi spec. with a 20" monitor but when she called quoting the value code she was told it was a 17" (good at the time)
> She phoned Dell giving my email address so I was sent the component list
> I checked it out and noticed no V90/92 installed (dialup modem card)
> I phoned her and she told me the sales person had said that it would work on the internet. Sure it would there was an Ethernet port, she was on 'dial up' and had told them so
> I called Dell the following day and after a bit of digging my heals in I was told they would send one
> Received in a couple of days, installed by me then tried to get a driver from the supplied Resource disc, wrong driver.
> Called dell again, much arguing then relenting, disc on its way
> Few days the driver installed and the machine running fine.
> About a month later she received a letter from Dell telling her the "Service Tag was no longer valid."

At the time I was prepared just to nip to a local PC store buy a card and install it but as she had been lied to on at least two points she insisted I dealt with Dell.

I am not overly concerned about the warranty but it was kind of you to try to assuage any fears I may have had. I have had a Dell Dimension 4600 since Nov. 2003 with very few problems, most of them caused by myself. The hard drive is now dying and is painfully slow, I will get round to that some day :)

Regards

Dave

In reply to an earlier post on 9 May 2013 14:25:07 BDT
Last edited by the author on 9 May 2013 14:27:16 BDT
D. McCormick says:
Yeah It's changed since then...
As J. Stevenson says, they won't cover any parts not sourced via Dell -
Both the HDD and RAM are customer replaceable parts, but if you don't source it them from Dell, (as apparently they can't know the condition/quality/compatibility of the parts you are fitting)
The rest is all covered, unless a fault is caused by a part you have independently replaced - Which would result in a chargeable repair call.

I just got the 17R SE and am planning to bump up the RAM and install an SSD.
I am not liking Win8 at all though, so will probz wipe it.

DG, did you have any bother with drivers and stuff?

<EDIT> In hindsight yours could have shipped with Win7 I suppose! Unfortunatly I didn't get that option :(

Thanks,