on 14 January 2013
Promising Sword and Sorcery, but desperately needs an editor.

The Deacon Trilogy shows promise. I bought it while hoofing around Smashwords for interesting reviews on indie fantasy titles. This one got excellent reader reviews, and shows wonderful promise. This is a fun, entertaining, solid sword n sorcery series which for the money is fantastic value.

I do think the writer could do with a bank of solid beta readers and both a content and copy editor. Frankly, I found myself thinking, "This is a wonderful first draft, I can't wait to read the finished book." Because I desperately want to read that finished, polished works that I know these books can be, I am going to give it three stars and not the four or five it would merit had all the niggles been sorted out.

Most readers looking for a fun read may well be very forgiving of punctuation problems (!?), word confusion (though/through, alter/altar,) and the odd Point of View leaps and formatting issues, but the danger is that some sensitive readers will be yanked out of the carefully constructed, interesting "other world" in to this one - as a high fantasy novelist, you don't ever want that to happen. More demanding readers who expect from their indie bookshelf the same polish and sparkle as from mainstream publishers will become frustrated and should remember big publishers have resources - which is apparent when you find yourself paying through the nose. However, given the poorly written unimaginative dross - from both mainstream and indie publishers -that HAS been copy-edited out there, these books deserve not to be judged to harshly for the wonderful feet of imagination achieved.
5 people found this helpful