Shop now Shop now See more Shop all Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Shop Fire Shop now Shop now Shop now

1.0 out of 5 stars Wait for Oregon to resolve the problems, 3 Jan. 2009
I was planning to leave this review until the problems have been resolved by Oregon but I get the feeling there is still a long way to go.

I have an earlier Oregon model and was very pleased with it but this latest offering is absolutely appalling - as a Christmas gift it is probably the most disappointing ever! I know from Amazon USA forum posts, that customers in the USA have been having the same problems as I have in the UK. To make matters worse, the Oregon UK technical support email system has not been working since at least Christmas day - I have made them aware of this, twice, by telephone and it is still not working. I also made them aware of the problems with the I600 and nothing has been done yet.

The I600 gets its data from two sources, the external sensor and the USB hub connected to a PC. The data from the external sensor to the I600 does work. The PC software is appalling and there is no user guide for the PC display. The PC seems to get accurate 'external sensor' data from the I600 but the I600 Internal Temperature differs from that displayed on the PC by almost 3 degrees. Sometimes the PC does not display the I600 external sensor temperature but instead gives an "access denied" error for a file on the PC.

The installation disk installs software that only initiates an update download from an ftp-site but that software was so slow that it usually took an hour or two for the icon to appear in the system tray - nothing else runs on that PC except for anti-virus software! Another version of software is available from the Oregon web site but, although it runs faster, it is still not very good.

It could be that the software relies on a particular server being available and when it is not available it looks like the software does not function correctly. For a start you get a message saying that it is temporarily unavailable and that message may be difficult to 'clear' - it seems that there may be many of the message windows being display on top of each other (someone in the USA counted 1,500 such messages). Although the PC application continues to display the temperatures after loss of connection to the server, the region/city temperatures may get removed from the I600 if that is still connected to the PC via the USB hub.

In summary, Oregon have provided the most appalling piece of software that I have come across in my 30 years as a system/application support specialist.

Ten days (four working days) after Christmas there is no regular server access, no UK technical support available by email and Oregon don't appear to be prepared to work outside normal working hours to resolve these critical issues.

Sorry Oregon - the idea is very good but the product is absolutely useless at the moment.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-5 of 5 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 15 Jan 2009 19:40:04 GMT
Derek Brown says:
This is an update to the I600 review. Now the 15th January but the I600 still does not work. The Oregon UK Technical Support email system was unavailable from Christmas until the 13th January - but still no reply to my emails sent since then. Telephoned them 3 times but they don't seem to have any ideas about what is happening - "it is with the Head Office".
Oregon USA Customer Service have only replied to two emails - each saying that it has been passed to their product managers. An Amazon forum post in the USA shows that they have 7 unhappy customers owning I600s that do not work.
The supplier is contacting Oregon about the problem but it is beginning to look like they may have to recall the product or I will have to return it for a refund. I wonder if they tested the I600 before marketing it?

In reply to an earlier post on 18 Jan 2009 09:36:59 GMT
Thanks Derek I was going to buy one of these I shall look for an alternative now. I also spent some time on oregon website trying to establish how close the forecasts were to where i live but to no avail. please advise if this is resolved to your satisfaction.
thanks mark

Posted on 18 Jan 2009 13:24:36 GMT
Derek Brown says:
I expect this to be my 'final update' on this product because the I600 has now been re-packed for return to the supplier, who had said that he would be speaking to Oregon and would arrange for it to be collected if the problem had not been resolved by Friday 16th. The problem has not been resolved.
Oregon Technical Support UK has not replied to the emails sent since 13th (see earlier comment about their email not working earlier), neither have they kept me informed by email or telephone as promised when I telephoned them on 29th December.
My last email to the USA Customer Service department did get a reply but only to say that they had forwarded it to the UK Product Manager!
Oregon does not seem to be admitting that there is a problem but I have tried it each day and yesterday could only get the internal temperature and remote sensor display. When I telephoned them the third time, the UK Technical Support did suggest that the problem may be as a result of a Microsoft update (perhaps XP SP3) - however, I had the opportunity to get to try it on another PC running XP SP2 and that did not work either. One of the USA customers is running it on Vista so I do wonder if anyone anywhere has managed to get the I600 to work.
It seems that the Oregon Customer and Technical Support performs as well as the I600 - by that I mean that neither gives any information! Even if they were to say something like "Sorry, we have a big problem and it will take a couple of months to sort out" that would not be too bad - but to remain silent and ignore customers is unacceptable. I therefore have absolutely no confidence in that company or its products any more.
There are not many similar Weather Stations that would give me what I want (an outdoor temperature transmitter and a 3, 4 or 5 day forecast) but I think that I have found one. I have now ordered a Ventus 194 (http://www.anemometers.co.uk/weather_station_ventus_194.html) - I have seen only one review on the product and that recommended it but, whatever happens, it could not be any worse than the I600.

In reply to an earlier post on 20 Jan 2009 23:17:43 GMT
Last edited by the author on 21 Jan 2009 21:37:08 GMT
Derek Brown says:
As a 'postscript' to this issue, Oregon have now advised that they "now have the software to solve this problem. It can be downloaded from www.os-weather.com ".
Unfortunately I have not been able to test that software as the unit is back in its box for return. I must say that the supplier (AbacusUK/Aurumproducts) has been brilliant and shown far more concern and interest than did Oregon - I would certainly buy from this supplier again in the future.

In reply to an earlier post on 26 Jan 2009 07:06:37 GMT
Paul P says:
I have the i300 and it has all the problems mentioned above, I have the latest software and it is still appalling. What ever do they test these on!!
‹ Previous 1 Next ›