on 2 June 2013
I spent a lot of time deliberating before I went for this lens. The wide angle prime lens selection offered by Nikon is starting to get quite dated, with the only fast option other than this lens being the £1000+ 24mm f1.4, if you are looking for modern AF-S glass.

I considered the Nikon 28mm f2.8 (too slow, not very sharp), the 20mm f2.8 (ditto), the 24mm f1.4 (too expensive, too heavy), the 35mm f2 (not wide enough) and I ruled them all out. There are some offerings from third party manufacturers - I particularly like some Sigma lenses - but they don't save much cost wise, and I worry that in a few years when I upgrade my camera the lens may not be compatible.

So I was left with one choice - the 28mm f1.8. It was a bit more than I wanted to spend, but the wide aperture is important to me and allows me to take photos in the lowest of light. I was a bit concerned that 28mm wouldn't be wide enough, but I have found this not to be the case and I think if it was much wider I would want to change lenses more often.

If money were no object I would probably still plump for the 24mm f1.4 as it offers a slightly better optical performance according to lens reviews. However, I have found this lens to be contrasty, sharp enough and quick enough to focus. The build quality is similar to other f1.8 lenses, and it feels quite light considering how wide it is and as, from looking at the technical diagram, it does have quite a bit of glass in it. The 28mm f1.8G seems quite long and narrow compared to my 85mm f1.8G, but feels lighter than it looks - just as that lens does.

The hood is quite long for such a small lens but still compact and the 67mm filter thread size not too large (so not too expensive to buy filters). This is quite a standard size for Nikon these days.

This completes what, for me, is the holy trinity of prime lenses for Nikon Amateur Photographers - with the 50mm f1.4 (or 1.8) and the 85mm f1.8 completing the setup. This set of lenses is good for most applications apart from wildlife shooting or more specialist work.

Overall I am very pleased with my purchase and this is now one of my favourite lenses. It's just wide enough to add a sense of drama to a photo, which normal lenses sometimes lack in their more traditional (~35-50mm) perspective.
55 Comments| 29 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse| Permalink
What's this?