TOP 500 REVIEWERon 10 November 2012
Ok - I have bought this due to the good reviews, this is my first broadband connection, and whilst I can follow simple instructions, I do not have a clue what all this equipment is about! I bought this along with the TP-Link 8817 modem.

Now the instructions for the Asus show connecting the modem to the router and the router to the computer with a cable, plus plugging them both in to the mains. Erm! Why do I need a cable to the computer? It's wi fi isn't it? AND SURELY I need a cable into the actual phone socket to get the broadband to the modem and router (no mention of this in Asus manual). So - assuming this is an oversight and I need a cable from the phone socket, does this go to the router or to the modem?

I am guessing - cable from phone socket goes to modem, cable goes from modem to router - no cable needed from router to computer (or maybe this latter bit is needed for set up?)

Also - both pieces of equipment come with discs and set up equipment. So - do I set up the modem first with it's instal etc, and then the router? Or just set up the router with its disc instal etc?

Finally - do I have a built-in modem in my computer (or modem software) and do I need to delete it?! Until now I have been using a mobile broadband dongle plus BT Openzone wi fi via voucher.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I am still not even sure which is the ethernet cable or how many different cables I need! I have - one cable which fits a phone socket at one end and a (? J1 something connector at the other that fits into a computer). Also, as I am not using a telephone on the line, just using it for broadband, do I still need to fit the ADSL filter or can I just plug straight into phone socket - and will this make things better or worse?

When I have this up and running, I will update on how good the wi fi is and if it reaches from one end of our stone built house (previously two houses) to the other - as previous owner could never manage that.

PS If the wi fi range is that good, will it fry me with radiation?!

UPDATED 1 December 2012

Thank you SO much. I did manage to get it all working but it took 3 days and a lot of gnashing of teeth, plus some wasted cables I had bought. It all set up easily and I picked up a good signal - except - no connection to the internet. Tried everything, did everything from scratch a few times. Phoned the service provider, who weren't much help. But one thing I had failed to do was enter the service provider's login for me when setting up. So did this - still no internet connection. Service provider said modem was faulty. (Modem wouldn't even connect by itself). I was about to box everything up and send it back, but came across an internet page to troubleshoot. Tried changing the cables. Yes you are right, it does still need an ADSL filter. Plus swapped the 'good' gold-ended cables I had bought, for the cheapo ones supplied. Still nothing. Then suddenly it all just started working.

For any other novices out there, here are some tips:
1) Ignore all instructions that come with modem router, and follow the instructions for the Asus router.
2) The instructions for the Asus router fail to explain that you also need the modem connected to the phone wall socket when setting up (obvious I know but it should be in the instructions).
3) You need a login, or password or something from your service provider, to enter into the Asus set up page. The first box on the set up is automatically ticked, but you need to tick the second box for PP something or other and then enter your username and password that you set up with the internet service provider (not the username and password you set for the router).
3) Use the ADSL filter even if you have a separate line for the internet with no phone.
4) Use the cables provided.

Any problems, have a look at these two links:
[...]

Don't try releasing and re-setting the IP address. The Asus router set up will do it for you if there is any conflict of IP address. If it doesn't all work first time, switch everything off, unplug everything for 10 minutes, press the re-set button on both modem and router before and after switching off and then on again, then connect everything up and start again, and let the Asus set-up change the IP address.

Actually the only reason I got this expensive router was for the reported excellent range. It is no better than the basic router that the previous tenant had - wish I had bought a simple modem router - but hopefully this one will last a long time as Asus stuff does tend to be reliable.

Thank you very much to Matt Hawkins for his extremely kind and helpful response.
22 Comments|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse| Permalink