on 4 September 2013
Update 08/11/13

An update as promised, I have been living with the Bitzie for a while now and can confirm that this little chap really is the puppies privates!!

I've been using it for the most part with the iMac in my office, hooked up to a pair of Focal XS Book speakers where it's not missed a beat since installing as a replacement for my Arcam rPAC which was causing me much unhappiness previously (more of which later).

The Bitzie is a small, USB powered DAC which needs no additional power supply or special drivers on either Mac or PC (apparently even works with mobile devices, though I've not tried this)

The out-of-the-box sound quality mentioned in my earlier review has only improved with use (or maybe familiarity?), the mid-range clarity is quite astonishing, bass is tight and well controlled, on the whole everything sounds (feels) smooth and rhythmic with great pace, rhythm and timing... if I dare say... analogue, a bit like listening to my vinyl on my Linn/Naim rig.

In addition to the iMac, I have used the Bitzie with both my main Naim based system and a lovely old '70's vintage Quad based-system that I keep for nostalgia's sake it sounds delightful in both.

In fairness, I should also mention that I recycled the Arcam rPAC for use in a Windows 7 PC based system that I am obliged to use for my day job, and it behaves impeccably there, so I can only conclude that Arcam have some unresolved issues with the Mac? :-(

______________________________________________________________
Previous review:
It might command a premium price... but it delivers in spades.

The Graham Slee Bitzie is an amazing little box of magic stuff... following my less than happy experience with the Arcam rPAC (great sound, but very unreliable with my iMac), this box of tricks is a real shot in the arm; works straight out of the box and hasn't missed a beat. Astonishing clarity... tight bass, well defined mid-range and clear, but not strident treble... couldn't be happier, and that's before it's properly warmed-up :-) Will post an update when I've lived with it for a while.
22 Comments| 3 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse| Permalink
What's this?

What are product links?

1. Find the product you want to reference on Amazon.com
2. Copy the web address of the product
3. Click Insert product link
4. Paste the web address in the box
5. Click Select

Please write at least one word
You must purchase at least one item from Amazon to post a comment
A problem occurred while submitting your comment. Please try again later.

There was a problem loading the comments at the moment. Please try again later.

Product Details