on 7 August 2006
This book is very simple and could have been of some use to Linux beginners if it was not over-encumbered with words and poor in useful guidance. The very lengthy paragraphs do provide some tips, e.g. for the basic commands, but I expected to find more technical explanations, even though-or maybe because-I am myself a Linux "newbie".

One of the things I disliked is, for instance, the level at which the chapter on the desktop environment is pitched. The book is supposedly geared towards people who are using Windows. As such, I do not see the usefulness of explaining in pedantic verbose details how to resize a window or click on an icon. These and similar tasks that are certainly well-known by most readers!

I had just installed my favourite Linux distribution and found an excellent driver for my USB ADSL mouse. I realised I had to update the kernel because the one that cane with my distribution did not include support for a necessary module. I looked at the index of this book and found nothing to help me in the first difficult task switching from Windows and still wanting to use the modem I already used in the previous operating system.

This is just one of several possible example I could give of the lack of many important technical instructions in this book.

I did find more tips and many more useful features in the excellent book "The Linux Bible" by Christopher Negus (ISBN 0764579495), currently on Amazon marketplace as "brand new" for £5.01 vs. £7.54 for this one! I was very happy to be able to return this book to the seller for a full refund under the Distance Selling Directive.
What's this?

What are product links?

1. Find the product you want to reference on Amazon.com
2. Copy the web address of the product
3. Click Insert product link
4. Paste the web address in the box
5. Click Select

Please write at least one word
You must purchase at least one item from Amazon to post a comment
A problem occurred while submitting your comment. Please try again later.

There was a problem loading the comments at the moment. Please try again later.