on 15 July 2008
I have been a big fan of all Antarctic exploration stories since first reading Scott by Sir Ranulph. It fired my imagination and compelled me to read more on the subject. I gradually formed a good picture in my head of Tom Crean, a man who I always thought must have a real asset to any adventure and to find a book based on the man himself was a real treat. I found the book very difficult to put down. It offers a good insight into Crean's background, his roles in the various expeditions, his relationships with others, his incredibly endearing character and the many heroic acts he performed. The photographs in the book are terrific and I often found myself wandering around in the scenes presented to me in the pages of the book.
I have always found the lesser known players in these snowy expeditions to be extraordinarily interesting and I think Michael Smith's book is a case in point. This is one of my favourite books and I'm secretly hoping that Mr Smith can be tempted to write a few more books on the other hardy members of the historic Antarctic expeditions.
9 people found this helpful