on 2 July 2013
The new GO series will get you from A to B, but then so will any satnav from £50 upwards. So why do some people spend three to four times as much? (I should add I have owned a Go 730 for some years and am looking for an upgrade.)

Well, any TomTom satnav has several features which for me are critical, and prevent me from looking anywhere else. One is iQroutes and another is the live traffic. I don't want to just get from A to B, I want to get there on time. And choosing the best route is what makes all the difference. iQroutes works on the real speeds that real drivers (i.e. you and me) achieve, not the notional speed limit on the roads (Tomtom have this patented I believe, so you can't get it elsewhere). Add in live traffic, and you can be confident of using the fastest route - and if you still don't get there on time, then you have the comfort of knowing that no faster route was available.

So, back to the GO 500 (or 400 or 600 which only appear to differ on screen size). It does have both iQroutes and live traffic - good. They even get free "lifetime updates" - that's the product's lifetime, not yours!

So, what's not to like? Its the other features included in previous/other models, that are now missing - that's the problem. Here's a list:

1. No facility to add your own "points of interest". So you can't add shops, hotels, pubs, etc. Worse, you can't add traffic cameras - that's only available from Tomtom for about £20p.a. after the first three months.

2. No route planning.

3. Voice commands not available - and I believe will never be because no microphone is fitted.

4. As for 3, the old facility to use the satnav as a handsfree interface to your phone is not available. So to use my phone I have to carry yet more bits and pieces....

5. The facility to add blocked roads, alter routes, etc is missing.

Reading the Tomtom website suggests some of these might get addressed in future software updates. Trouble is that Tomtom have a poor track record of actually keeping such promises......

Things you do get are "3D maps" and a full touch screen, e.g. pinch and zoom. Haven't tried the 3D maps, because there was no data for the town I live in. I am indifferent to the pinch and zoom - I don't care too much about refinements like this, when features such as the above are missing.

So I have been an owner of a Tomtom GO 500 for 1 day, and its now on its way back to Amazon for a refund. Not fit for purpose is my conclusion. Alternatives are the Tomtom Go Live 825/1005, which I am now considering.
1212 Comments| 83 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse| Permalink
What's this?