on 22 April 2013
All in all, I think it's a great game. I think the nicest thing, honestly, is the feeling of playing with the DC characters in their own, and well-rounded, fighting game, which I think was kind of lacking in the gaming scene (MK vs DC was the only thing around, but clearly not a DC characters-only game). For anyone who enjoys the DC characters, or simply comics for that matter, and fighting games, I think this is a big plus in itself.

In terms of gameplay and mechanics, it isn't a lot different from MK9, but it has its own elements. The multi-tiered scenarios and the ability to pick up objects and use them during the fight - whereas some say that there isn't a whole lot of novelty there - do bring a good range of extra options in terms of gameplay. Having never played another fighting game that has brought this type of mechanic to the table, I have to say I still struggle at times to take full advantage of those elements, and mix them up with the normal combos as part of my strategy. It's certainly interesting to play around with it and come up with nice sequences that you have to decide on the spot, and adds extra elements for you to mind from your opponent. If you're coming from the Street Fighter - and similar - series, like myself, you might find a bit harder to pull off combos and get used to some of the controls. But that doesn't take the fun away.

The game modes available are more than enough to keep you entertained for a good while. Not only you have a normal battle mode, where you simply battle a bunch of opponents in a sequence, with increasing difficulty, but you can also play single fights at different difficulty levels, which to me, serves as a bit of practice, say if you want to "study" more the gameplay of a given character. The "survival" mode - or whatever it's called - where the life you retain from one fight is carried over to the next, and so on, is a fun addition there. The difficulties are on the sweet spot, but I do feel that some characters are considerable harder to beat than others when comparing them against the same difficulty level (Aries is an example of that).

The story isn't great - in my opinion anyway - but it's good enough to keep you going. Considering that the creators had to mix up characters which are so different in terms of power level and story-lines, you can't throw away the effort that's been put on pulling off the story mode, and it did work out well.

The graphics are really great, and the overall art too. Characters and scenarios are very detailed, and the characters movements, in particular, I'd say have been greatly modelled. There are way too much Batman-related scenarios though (3, 4, I think?), but then, I'm not sure what other options were available to the art team for that matter (which would fit into the story, I mean).

So, if you like fighting games, DC, comics, or any combination of those, I'd say it's worth getting this game. If you're a big fan of DC or fighting games, you'd probably want to get it right now! If not, I think you can afford delaying on that a bit until the price lowers.
0Comment| 9 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse| Permalink
What's this?