on 19 November 2005
I have always had a thing about fanzines, you know the magazine written by fans for fans which sometimes grows into something more like Relix, for instance. To the uninitiated it is a way into another world so that you no longer feel like an outsider. I really liked the movie tie-dyed for that reason alone although in my case it was an exploration into a US phenomenom which had not crossed the Atlantic except when American Deadheads did!
Having been one of those people, although i will not say which, who read the Lord of the Rings in the 1960's/'70's, I could relate to much of this celebration. There is much within which is a joy to watch including the segments of actor interviews although to some extent I mourn the absence of others in the cast, and there is much amusement too.
i would have preferred not to have to see the re-enactment of 60's and 70's grooviness but it is a harmless distraction. The camerawork is sometimes cliched but at other times somewhat amateurishly fresh but despite those things there is an honesty and sincerity which shines throughout.
This is a labour of love which brings some insight into the mysterious world of the Ringers, their revitalisation through the movies, gives some marvellous views of some of the settings in New Zealand and some quirky though absolutely adorable antics of the Ringers, shall we say, on tour.
This is one of those movies you can watch in all honesty to yourself. It has no pretensions other than to let us into their world. A world of characters as individual as the ones they are interested in. Whether young or old there is a lot for you in this movie. I wish I knew where my old , well worn paperback omnibus (British) edition is now and whose possession it might be in.
On a personal note, it was the Fellowship of the Ring and the first Harry Potter movie which galvanised my youngest son into reading, something which he has continued to do voluntarily to this day. This movie has shown him a different side to the novel and made him aware of the broader enthusiasm in the world for the books so much so that after watching it he began a web search on Rings issues.
This is a great piece of fun for all the family. It made me laugh it made me cry with a twinkle in my eye and for that alone I heartily, without reservation commend it to the readers.
0Comment| 26 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse| Permalink
What's this?