on 15 May 2012
Before I bought my scope I read all the reviews here and to be honest some of them worried me, but I couldn't find better for the price so I bought it. Having now used the scope for six months I feel qualified to comment, and rather than write a straight review I thought I'd answer some of the negative points made previously.

Firstly there are those who have questioned the build quality of this scope. Well six months of use have found no problems with the build quality of my scope. If I am being charitable I would say that those who have had problems such as parts shearing must have had poor examples of the product and that maybe QC is not up to much at Celestron. However from my experiences with this and other Celestron products I would say that those users who managed to break their scope are extraordinarily ham fisted. Build quality is fine and indeed better than you would expect for a scope of this spec at this price.

Then there are those who have whinged about the quality of the eye pieces. Sure they are not top quality, but the whole scope, mount, tripod and eyepieces cost around £150. You're not going to get a pair of eyepieces which would normally retail at £100 each in a kit for £150 are you. They get the job done and get you started. The only thing I would say about the eyepieces is that if I were speccing this scope I would not include the erecting eyepiece, but would include something else instead. Perhaps a Barlow lens or another atronomical eyepiece, or maybe a good quality moon filter. If you want a scope for terrestrial use you're not going to buy one on an equatorial mount, so why would you want an erecting eyepiece?

The most puzzling review is perhaps the chap who was surprised by the size. The dimensions are readily available on the web, and anyway how small did he expect a 130mm reflector to be? Likewise his inability to follow the assembly instructions is not a reason to return the scope.

The person who wanted QR clamps on the tripod legs also puzzled me. An equatorial mount will always take a little time to set up and once setup it is presumably going to sit where it is for some time, an hour at least. So what advantage would QR clamps be? You're not going to be picking up the scope and moving it every five minutes as you would with, say, a wildlife scope. So why would you need QR clamps.

In short you will not get a better scope of similar specifications and capabilities for the price. This is a classic example of the adage "you get what you pay for". Yes you can get a better 130mm reflector, but for more money. You can even get a worse one for (not much) less. You are not, however, going to get better for the same price. If you want better, pay more. You can't say fairer than that.
11 Comment| 45 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse| Permalink
What's this?