on 11 December 2013
The theory of books is indeed noble, as Ralph Waldo Emerson rightly tells us in The American Scholar. This audio track inspired me to read the text and I ended up with a book of his poetry which I bought by accident thinking it contained the 'American Scholar' essay.

My only concern is that I still have the words, "the theory of books is noble," and "Ralph Waldo Emerson," popping into my head in a kind of Acid House, heavy-beat rap every so often. The subliminal advertising seems to have worked. I wish I could get it out of my head. It is impossible to forget the sound. Why have you done this to my brain?

I happen to agree with Emerson's love of nature, and perhaps these poems I have found will inspire me. I am not in agreement with what might be termed American exceptionalism, but I can see that a great nation came of the kind of spirit of enterprise that Emerson embodies in his works and in his mindset.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse| Permalink