on 28 March 2002
I didn't listen to 'Pleased to Meet You' in its entirety until nearly a year after purchasing it. I tended to skip straight to 'Getting Away With It' and was less than impressed with most of the other tracks after a brief listen to the odd one every now and then.
Then I listened to the album in its entirety for the first time the other day and something amazing happened. I discovered a wealth of moving ballads, haunting melodies, and stunning vocals that I had never taken the time to listen to before.
This album rates higher in my estimation than Millionaires and is easily comparible, in terms of quality, to much of James earlier (mid-nineties) material. I expect that I will come to appreciate this album more and more every time I listen to it, but for the time being I feel that it is a return to form for a band that perhaps lost their way a little with Millionaires, but regained it with this.
Funnily enough I used this album as the example of them losing their way when I rated their greatest hits album. But now having listened to it fully I can appreciate its unique style and it really does show that a band can exist for 20 years and never find huge fame, but can continue to pump out high quality original material album after album.
My favourite tracks on this album in no particular order are as follows:
'Getting Away With It (All Messed Up)' (Classic single track)
'Space' (Interesting intro and great chorus vocals)
'English Beefcake' (Haunting vocals at the end)
'Alaskan Pipeline' (Unique and beautiful melody)
So here's to many great albums in the future, albeit without the unique vocal talents of Tim Booth, and cheers guys for keeping up the hard work - us loyal fans really appreciate it!
What's this?