3.0 out of 5 stars Nice camera, but faulty model, 19 Sept. 2012
This review is from: Canon EOS 1100D Digital SLR Camera (With 18-55 mm f/3.5-5.6 DC III Lens Kit) (discontinued by manufacturer) (Camera)
I started photography as a hobby last year, beginning with a Fujifilm S2500HD. I learnt quickly and after a year I wanted to make more sophisticated photos, so I decided on the Canon EOS 1100D.

Physically, the camera feels great in the hand - it's not too heavy and made of a nice rubbery material. It includes a variety of items in the box, such as a charger, neckstrap, camera lens (if you buy the camera "lens kit" version), which I apprechiate. I had to buy most accessories seperately when I bought the Fujifilm camera.

The camera makes GREAT photos, if you know what you're doing. This camera is not really suitable for beginners, but if you've had a point & shoot camera before, you can use the camera in "Auto" mode without knowing much about the technical details of photography as the principles are the same. However, that would kindof defeat the point of buying this camera as it offers a large variety of options that you can set, depending on the scenery.

However, after two weeks, the camera developed a defect (Error 30), which according to various online forums, seems to be a common fault with this particular model. I had to send it back to Amazon.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 3 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-6 of 6 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 29 Oct 2012 08:33:42 GMT
Ian says:
Two of my current FIVE Canon cameras (the Canon Powershot A75 & the Canon Powershot A620) developed the black screen of eternal death fault and I will never again buy a Canon camera, for the rest of my life. I'll just await the death fault for my Powershot G6, My 350D and my 400D and suffer, like all the rest of those I know who bought Canon - never again! This review has warned me, in great time, not to make that mistake again!

In reply to an earlier post on 21 Nov 2012 16:22:52 GMT
I have had Canon SLRs, film and Digital for about 20 years now and have never had any problems at all. I like the build quality, the "feel",the functions and the reliability. I`ll choose Canon every time. Ken S.

Posted on 20 Mar 2013 13:01:19 GMT
electronics go wrong...I've always bought canon, never had a problem, just bad luck i guess...the 1100d was my first dslr and I thought it was a great first time dslr...not overly complicated after a play around, but yes, it would be a little confusing if you are new to photography....

In reply to an earlier post on 20 Oct 2013 02:12:29 BDT
Clickblade says:
I have used canon camera's for years, never had or herd of that problem before.
With the problems you are having with your camera's you must have been in touch with Canon what was there conclusion?

In reply to an earlier post on 11 Apr 2014 04:24:46 BDT
Pete G. says:
What a pessimist! I've also been a Canon fan for many years, film and digital. What the heck is this 'black screen of death' all about? I think maybe the cameras have been abused? That's the only reason I can imagine. I've also used many other makes and models of camera over the years and I never heard of one dying in this sort of fashion!

Posted on 20 Jul 2014 13:06:02 BDT
Me says:
Some people just need drama in their lives. Black screen of death woohoo
‹ Previous 1 Next ›