4.0 out of 5 stars Michio Kushi, 2 Aug. 2010
This review is from: The Macrobiotic Approach to Cancer (Paperback)
The Macrobiotic Approach to Cancer has 179 pages and was published firstly in 1981 and the book I read in 1991. Without doubt it is a book which has a great deal of information . So far as I am aware I do not have Cancer, but many of my friends do and I am very interested in healthy diets and lifestyle, it was for this reason I was interested to read this book. The friends I know who are suffering from this terrible disease are all following doctors orders and do not share my view about this lifestyle. Many refuse to accept the issue of animnal products, I think more so since I have been a lifelong vegetarian and they think Im trying to convert them. I was infact a veggie because I just have never liked meat, it used to make me wretch when my mother insisted I eat it. I dont have a problem with keeping and killing animals so long as its in a humain way, but I do truly believe we are not natural carnivores, just look at the way our body is designed; a little meat occasionally would be ok for those who wish to, but not the way we have gone. Then ofcourse it makes sense to take plant food as near to the way it was grown as possible.
So this book is interesting to read with a great deal of good information. It has no recipes though.
I hope those who read this book, if they are in the unfortunate possition of being a Cancer sufferer, all the very best and much love in their lives to overcome their horrid situation.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-2 of 2 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 4 Mar 2013 14:37:51 GMT
marc says:
we are designed with canine teeth and organs specifically designed to digest fatty foods (gall bladder) we have huge fatty brains we have no cellulase enzyme to digest plant materials our caecum (appendix) is nothing to speak of compared to herbivores who have huge rumens and caecums containing enormous amounts of bacteria to process plant matter for them converting them into fatty acids (we have to eat fat as we cant make significant amounts from plant matter). We have strongly acidic stomach acid. our body is designed to be an omnivore which eats animal foods as well as small amounts of vegetable accompaniments hence all of our traditional dishes consist of this combination. We also have the ability to wield fire which gives us the unrivalled ability to render fat from animal tissues to feed our huge brains and is probably the main reason for our rising to the top of the food chain since when has a vegetarian species been at the to of their food chain?

In reply to an earlier post on 4 Mar 2013 17:33:10 GMT
Last edited by the author on 4 Mar 2013 22:31:48 GMT
Edgar says:
Primitive 'man' mainly foraged for plant foods and 'hibernated' in the winter months when food was scarce, he may have scavenged left over meat too.
Fat, protein, fibre and carbohydrates are contained in plant foods, along with Vitamins and Minerals. Plants alone can sustain human life but humans cannot survive without consuming plants.
Meat consists of fat and protein, missing carbohydrates and fibre; essential elements which give us energy and encourage gut motility; causes ill health. A Western diet with its high levels of meat is associated with sluggish gut motility and high levels of colon disease including cancer and other diseases such as heart disease due to high intake of saturated and hydrogenated fats.
The human body is not equipped to hunt, kill and eat animals, other than maybe fish, eggs and dairy.We dont have claws, our teeth are inadequate, we need to chew our food to aid digestion, we cant run fast and our senses are inadequate for hunting.
This is a convincing argument alone however, ALL carnivors produce Vitamin C to heal their wounds sustained when killing their prey, it doesnt make sense that humans would be the only exception.
Only vegetarians do not produce Vitamin C, e.g.fruit eating bats, guinea pigs and humans included; humans could not survive injuries sustained during an attack if we ate predominantly. Since humans DON'T make Vitamin C, available only in plant foods, they need to consume large amounts throughout the day,(another failure of the Western diet and cooking).
Vitamin B12 is stored in our body for several years;to sustain healthy levels requires minute quantities of vitamin B12 rich foods such as eggs, very infrequently .
The caecum, required when large volumes of plant foods are consumed, has diminished in size in the human body as our diet has altered; it remains though a reminder to our dietary past.
Further the gut of meat eating animals is much shorter than the human gut, the purpose of the short gut is to remove the remnants of flesh before it putrifies. The human gut, a long and winding warm moist environment, retains its contents for longer. Saturated fat from meat coats the inside lumen of the gut forming a solid lining, thus clogging the gut and covering the villi preventing absorption of nutrients and and slowing down peristalsis and movement of its contents, thus delaying further the explusion of the putrifying mass. With little roughage in an all meat diet the peristalsis will slow even further as the meat forms a slushy, sticky stagnant mess, meat gets trapped in crevaces and putrifies further, producing toxins. When sugars are also trapped in a slow moving gut alcohol is formed and further toxins are produced. These toxins are absorbed into our bloodstream causing additional problems , ill health and disease. The gall bladder simply stores bile which is produced by our liver. Bile acts like a detergent on fats, enabling their progress through our gut without the problems described above, it helps digest fats too and deodorises and colours our faeces. It also removes waste via the gut, i.e. cholesterol, (50% of which is reabsorbed).
Wielding fire is part of our history not part of our body function, it simply separates us from other mammals. Cooking and red meat isnt responsible for allowing us to increase fat intake to increase our brain size.Neanderthals ate mainly red meat, their brain did not develop and they became extinct. Early modern humans on the other hand did develop larger brains and survived through eating a more varied diet including greater quantities of omega 3 and omega 6 rich plant and fish foods. Eating specialist non meat fats has allowed human brain evolution.
Using our thumbs for complex movements enabled us to manufacture implements, this allowed humans to develop the ability to hunt, kill and consume animal meat.The Western Diet however, is very different to other meat eating civilisations on the planet and we know the Western Diet is responsible for disease rarely seen in other cultures. Cooking and refining foods destroys the enzymes in our food, enzymes are essential to good digestion and nutrient uptake.
Eating meat produces an acid environment, the body is generally alkaline, it is becoming more evident that an acid diet is contrary to good health.
For these and more reasons, I cannot agree with Marc's assumptions.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›