on 17 December 2013
Bought these as a bit of a bet really, more a joke, as I don't really intend to be out picking locks all day long. In the passed I have picked a few older locks, mainly padlocks and mortice locks, which was a long time ago and I thought I'd lost the touch.
When these arrived I gave them a test run on some old locks I have in the shed, old front door locks I've somehow collected over the time.
The picture on here shows bare metal handles but in the package I found a little envelope which contained several soft coverings for each of the metal handles, which, with a bit of a squeeze, slotted over the metal handles to give each pick a more comfortable feel.

Once all were covered, I set about picking locks, starting with a euro cylinder lock, which took all of 30 seconds to unlock. Then I tried the same type of lock on the garage door, again, 30 seconds later and the door was unlocked.

I tried them in a yale traditional lock, the ones that slide locked when you close the door. This was a little harder to unlock as I had to turn the weight of the lock itself, unlike the euro locks which you just have to turn to release the catch. But about a minute and a half later, and a very careful turn of the tension bar as the lock turned, I released the catch from the lock... job done.

Most doors these days are euro locks and, with these, are easy to unlock with very little effort at all.

Each pick is made well, and, even if they look and feel as if they could break in a heart beat, they have stood up to some pressure, even though to pick a lock you don't need any pressure really. But the picks are made to handle a bit of hassle. The tension bars are again, built well, although these have no cushioning over the handles, but as you need to feel the gentle pressure, or lack of it really, of the bar then I supposed a cushion on them would give you the wrong pressure and would make picking the lock a little harder.

The only negative is that the case is a little stupid, so to speak, dues to the fact that it is not like the one in the picture, it is one where there is a zipper that goes around three of the four sides, two short sides and one long side. This means that you need to unzip the entire length of the zipper, leaving the case flapping on one long side, which means that it's easy to forget that none of the picks are held in place securely, leaving you with picks all over the floor.
The case looks nice and holds all the picks and tension bars, but when it comes to opening it you have to be very careful.
On one side there is a little pocket which I have put the tension bars in, leaving the picks loose. I am on the look out for a new case which will hold the picks in place properly, maybe one with a bit of elastic in it or something, or maybe I'll try and re-design this one with a pair of scissors and a bit of twine.

In all, a nice little set with nice cushioned handles. The case is nice but be careful opening it or you'll end up dropping picks all over the floor.
(I'm thinking of making a video to show how easy it is picking a lock using these tools, if I do i'll upload it on here).

So, if you're interested in lock picking, or just want to give it a go, (but not on my doors please), then this is a nice set to start with as you'll be flying away in no time.

Well worth the money for a good set of picks.
0Comment| 26 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse| Permalink
What's this?