1.0 out of 5 stars Maybe Neil Young Can Help!?, 20 Oct. 2013
This review is from: NEW (Deluxe Edition) (MP3 Download)
Macca is in the perhaps unenviable position where no matter what he releases, it is going to sell regardless of whether it is any good or not, simply because he is one half of one of the finest song writing duo's in the history of pop music.

No one can deny he is responsible for writing some of the finest pop tunes ever written, but as with all things there is a natural ending that comes to everything.
What I find sad is that he seems to be relying on his 'rep' to keep putting out albums on which the majority of songs are at best average. There are four songs on this album worthy of release under his name: Alligator, On My Way To Work, looking At Her and Road. Oddly enough all of which are acoustic based songs. The rest of the tracks are instantly forgettable and perhaps worse is that he borrows BIG time from some old Beatles (Damn I said I was not going to mention that name!)songs. Of course there was and is always going to be a strong flavour' of the fab four's music simply because of who he is and what he did when a member of that band.
I keep hoping he really will cut loose from his past and doing something that really challenges both himself as a song writer, and singer and us the listeners.

I had a conversation with someone who is a Beatle maniac, and has everything they have ever recorded or even thought about recording, and when I told him my opinion (and that is all it is) on "New" he got incredibly hostile, and said 'who are you to dare to judge the brilliance of Paul McCartney', and he's right and of course wrong.

When I heard he (Paul Mc Cartney) had a new album coming out, especially with the title "New", I hoped it might be better fare and be 'different' than much of the pap that wastes so much of our radio (digital) waves, plastic and time.
Maybe he should try and compose another Classical piece of music like Standing Stone or Ecce Cor Meum, both of which (for me) are the best things he has done in a long, long time. Either that or maybe make shorter albums of acoustic based songs, Maybe Neil Young Can Help!? (They did play together at The Hop Farm Gig a few years ago!) Neil Young is someone who after all these years is still delivering at least 80% on his albums...Besides maybe it is better to "Burn out than fade away".

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-4 of 4 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 20 Oct 2013 20:04:27 BDT
Number 6 says:
A well reasoned and written review. I have "liked" it even though I totally disagree :)

Posted on 21 Oct 2013 01:32:14 BDT
Gary22 says:
I think you must have been listening to the wrong album. I have to say I really enjoyed this album. I can only think you must have been listening to a paul young album by mistake

In reply to an earlier post on 22 Oct 2013 12:54:36 BDT
L J Thomson says:
I doubt Neil Young can help. His last album was one of his all time worst efforts! Both Neil and Paul's most recent work could sink a battleship. "New" is not very good, sadly.

Posted on 1 Dec 2013 10:33:03 GMT
John Winston says:
I had the misfortune of setting Neil Young perform live earlier this year. My ears are still bleeding. If he's 'where it's at' then give me Macca any day of the week.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›