on 26 December 2010
Never usually write reviews after completing a game, but here I go anyway.

I bought and played this game fully aware of the criticisms levelled at it. All of it was compared to COD Black Ops. A few days ago I noticed that COD had received the same review score from Edge which it had given to MOH. This made me slightly suspicious as to the claims of it being terrible.

Needless to say, I started playing it and did notice a slightly different feel (you will see what I mean) to the controls. However, this really enhanced the experience for me for, as in the real world, a soldier would not be able to shove a gun around the map in 0.05 miliseconds. Another feature I rather liked was the fact that this game was not a show of pyrotechnics and globe-trotting plots. It was very much a limited game to Afghanistan, and the story was very much straight forward. It had a good moral story at heart, and one you will realise after completion.

I managed to complete the game in one day - but this was largely because I didn't play anything else (with the exception of a chapter of Dead Space). I would say that it is short and sweet, in that you won't be playing the campaign for 555 hours. But isn't that a good thing? Certain parts of this game were so incredible that I wouldn't hesitate to replay it on Tier 1 mode, or even hard mode. I couldn't imagine that artificially extending the length would benefit the game, for what I played was succinct and well executed (even the ATV sections, which I heard were supposed to be awful, but I actually quite enjoyed them).

I bought this for [...] and I would recommend a purchase of this even if you are unconvinced. I was blown away at times, and I sincerely hope EA release a sequel and take the approach that they did to Battlefield Bad Company 2 (DICE developed, I know, but EA published).

The standard edition I have contained Frontline HD - so if you can get that you are getting two games for the price of one, or three if you include Multiplayer (which I haven't yet had the chance to experience).

Let me give a few positives of the games, and then a few negatives (which will hopefully be used to hone the sequel into something incredible).

3 good points:

1) Felt realistic - you were not some sort of superman. This approach was very good in several missions.
2) Tier 1 missions - stealthy elements were fantastic. More of these in future.
3) Set-pieces - absolutely blew me away at points (won't reveal my highlight of the game - it wasn't the helicopter level, surprise!). We need more of these good set-pieces.

3 bad points:

1) Length, though completely fine in terms of not adding needless fat onto the experience, could have perhaps benefited from a slight lengthening. Perhaps more of the Tier 1 missions?
2) Story - up until the end, it was lacking. Perhaps a stronger narrative than "Drive back the Taliban" could have been more engaging for the player?
3) Controls could be more fluid - more towards COD-style, but not as fast.
0Comment| 11 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse| Permalink
What's this?