5.0 out of 5 stars 5.1 on the cheap, 22 Oct. 2010
This review is from: Logitech Z506 Surround Sound Speakers (Electronics)
I also own the X540 which is the predecessor of this system so it was good to compare new with old.
I have recently done a garage conversion and the room is being used as a TV/Cinema room. I purchased these speakers to connect directly to my Panasonic BD80 using the analogue audio out connections on the player. With the correct leads this provides `true` 5.1 audio for the room.
I also connect the other aux stereo input to the audio out of my tv via phono connectors. These speaker use a propriety `3d sound` process which gives very good simulated surround sound on this input. This is comparable with the X540 `matrix` mode but cannot be switched off however. Not really a problem though as it is really very good.
I have connected to the TV the following: HD DVD player, Sky HD, , PS2, Wii, and as mentioned a Panasonic Blu-ray player. The reason I am providing all this detail is to let you know you can have a good sound system in your room for around the 80 quid mark when wired up in this manner. In this respect these speakers fit the bill perfectly.
Soundwise they are fine , with nice high end and plenty of bass (adjustable via knob on sub). Power wise they are also adequate for an average size room, definitely loud enough to annoy neighbours.
I also extended the cables for the rear speakers easily by cutting the cable and adding a longer length to both.
I would say they are a step up from the X540 due to the additional stereo input which gives far more flexibility. Soundwise there is not much to choose between them.
I would recommend these to someone on a tight budget and as they are made by Logitech they should last a good while.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 9 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 11 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 31 Jan 2011 19:56:49 GMT
Sushe says:
The only detail you didn't add is how they are powered - I'm guessing they simply plug into the mains?

Posted on 15 Mar 2011 18:31:35 GMT
Mike K says:
I'd be interested to know whether the set up mentioned would allow a tv program or film broadcast on the sky HD box to be played through the speakers in surround sound?

Posted on 2 Jul 2011 15:27:06 BDT
Mr. V. Asher says:
Just wanted to know that can i connect it with my laptop

Posted on 2 Jul 2011 15:27:20 BDT
Mr. V. Asher says:
Just wanted to know that can i connect it with my laptop

Posted on 22 Dec 2011 10:58:29 GMT
Dexter says:
Does this item have an Optical input. I need to connect it to my Samsung TV which has and Optical port.

Posted on 3 Jan 2012 16:13:07 GMT
Steven Lamont "overdrive", I am thinking of buying Z506, i already own the logitech X540. would I be able to buy a splitter and connect both sound system to laptop?
thanks alot
Kevin

Posted on 20 Feb 2012 15:27:04 GMT
Word robe says:
I have just bought these speakers but finding it difficult to connect them to my Samsung 3D TV & Samsung Blu-ray player. It does not have an HDMI connection and the audio-in speaker jacks does not fit my Bluray nor TV connections only the Stereo input jacks does the job.

Can you please explain to me if the RCA connections will be my best option. As you can read, I am not so good with these electronic things but your reviews said these should work with Blu-ray but some electronic gurus told me these speakers are only meant for Computers and Laptops but not for TVs not bluray.

Also, can you please advise if these will stay on the walls with the single holes behind the L-R, B-F, speakers

Please advice.

Posted on 12 Jun 2012 20:01:36 BDT
TopDrawer66 says:
Hey. Thinking about buying these, but I'm wondering how the speakers are powered. Do they all need sperate mains inputs, or is it batteries or what? On the photo there's only one wire coming out the back, which I assume is the input from the main box thing.
Thanks :)

In reply to an earlier post on 4 Jul 2012 15:13:57 BDT
A Williams says:
you just connect it using the headphone plug on the laptop to the green plug on the back of the subwoofer and yet you will get sound out of all speakers as the z506 has a 3D surround sound audio engine built in.

In reply to an earlier post on 4 Jul 2012 15:15:16 BDT
Last edited by the author on 4 Jul 2012 15:15:32 BDT
A Williams says:
no, the plug going into the subwoofer (main box) powers them all. as they all connect to it,
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›