on 1 October 2009
This is a great book. I don't think a similar book exists which comes close.

I liked Oil 101 so much that I bought a copy for my sister (she is a chemist outside the oil industry) and she tells me that she likes it very much also. So, I heartily recommend the book to those like myself that are in the oil industry as well as anyone outside the industry interested in oil. There are no other books I could make a similar recommendation about.

Oil 101 is a neither a non-technical book nor a technical book. It is a summary of the entire industry with enough meat on each part to keep it engaging and enlightening. It is a book which can be read several ways and this is what it so useful about it: you can read it knowing nothing about the oil industry or use it to fill in the gaps around the area you know particularly well.

Oil 101 describes each part of the oil business at a brisk pace with few wasted words. Every area is covered, from how oil is found, extracted, refined, stored and transported to how it is finally priced at the pump. Even though I am familiar with most of the technical aspects of how oil is found, I still learned a lot of interesting and useful information.

The first chapter is the best brief history of oil I have ever seen. It moves at a rapid pace and every single sentence is jammed with information. I learned more about the oil industry in the first twenty pages than I could ever have imagined. Although the book is dense with information, it is presented clearly and is highly readable.

I read a few chapters in the sequence presented and then jumped to various other chapters such as Exploration and Production, Transporting Oil, and Oil Prices. I have found myself keeping the book on my desk and opening a random page and refreshing my learning about something interesting. The index is excellent also for looking up oil market terms.

The financial markets side of oil was something I was not familiar with and it amazed me how oil prices and oil markets work. This was the piece of the oil puzzle most valuable to me.

In summary, I highly recommend the book Oil 101 as it has conquered the job of simplifying the elaborate puzzle of oil in a most interesting and entertaining way. It is a great read and reference.
0Comment| 19 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse| Permalink
What's this?