TOP 500 REVIEWERon March 18, 2008
The cover of the book informs us that 'Almost Heaven' compares with Steinbeck's 'Travels with Charley' and Bill Bryson's 'Lost Continent' - I'm afraid I didn't think that it did!

I found it a relatively interesting and informative read but it was a reporter's book rather than a writer's. It reminded me more (and could well have been the inspiration) of Louis Theroux's "Weird Weekends" TV programmes where he meets survivalists, Nazis etc. The book had none of Steinbeck's insight or Bryson's humour and I felt I knew little more about Martin Fletcher when I'd finished the book than I did before I started.
What's this?