VINE VOICEon 23 February 2004
The sinister, sensuous, enigmatic, magical, disturbing, breathtaking ‘Lolita’… my all-time favourite book. How many times have I re-read it? Don’t ask. I’ve lost count.
‘Lolita’ has to be one of the very few books that I have come across in my life that has a truly haunting quality. It grips you from the very first words and will not let go until long after you've finished reading it… That is, if you ever dare put it away (‘Lolita’ is a permanent resident of my bedside cabinet). There are so many levels to this novel and so many reasons why it will put you under its spell. Nabokov’s virtuoso command of English language is probably what did it for me when I read it for the first time (am I the only one who finds it hard to believe the author is not a native English speaker?!). I’ve given up trying to analyse this book; instead, I just let my mind drift along the mesmerizing flow of words…
I implore you to cast aside your prejudice and keep an open mind about ‘Lolita’. Forget all you might have heard about it and find out for yourself! This is definitely not a book about paedophilia and sexual perversion; nor does it justify it or make it look attractive. The main character’s obsession is just a backdrop for exploring the darker areas of human nature where no one had dared go before, in a way that no one had done before. You will savour it like a glass of exquisite red wine and will be desperate to make the last drops last when nearing the end. So make yourself comfortable, leave your phone off the hook and let its dark magic do its work…
0Comment| 39 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse| Permalink
What's this?

What are product links?

1. Find the product you want to reference on Amazon.com
2. Copy the web address of the product
3. Click Insert product link
4. Paste the web address in the box
5. Click Select

Please write at least one word
You must purchase at least one item from Amazon to post a comment
A problem occurred while submitting your comment. Please try again later.

There was a problem loading the comments at the moment. Please try again later.