on 18 May 2001
This book was a real delight. We bought it a couple of months before our first child arrived, and found it entertaining and informative. I learned a lot about what to expect. When our son was born, we had a head-start in understanding his reactions and expressions. A few weeks later, I read through it again to refresh my memory, and confirmed my impression that it was both accurate and helpful.
The really great thing about the book is that they have concentrated on providing *lots* of useful images to illustrate in detail what they are writing about.
It's ever-so-slightly irritating that the authors insist on refering to babies as 'she' throughout the book. I suppose that there is no answer to this old he/she problem, but it is more of a distraction than 'he' would have been, and therefore makes the text less enjoyable to read.
From details in the text, it's clear that this book is written by and for British people, but the general lessons to be learned about communicating with children are certainly international.
Do buy this book if you are expecting your first child. Read it before the birth because you may not have time or energy just after.
It's great. More books should be like this.
23 people found this helpful