4.0 out of 5 stars No home should be without a shredder, 24 Mar. 2013
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
My previous strip cut shredder recently gave up the ghost after a long and happy life, so I was pleased to have the opportunity to give this shreddder a try.

A mammoth sized box turned up marked "Heavy", which it was, but not so much that you needed a manual handling course to carry it through to my garage. After removing all packaging I was left with 2 pieces, the bin and the lid/shredder. It was simple to assemble, just put one on top of the other and plug it in.

Next test was 'can it take the promised 10 sheets'. I happened to have a stack of invoices printed on some cheap, thin, eco-paper, so I bundled 10 together and fed it in. It crawled through at a snails pace and I was betting that it would jam, but true to its word it went through. Generally, I don't trust the manufacturers stated capacity and wouldn't expect this to last long if I kept feeding it 10 sheets. I went with 5 sheets of average thickness paper and this sailed through without protest.

Next test was an old credit cards and an RAC membership card, some paper with staples and just for good measure a few sheets bundled with a small paper clip. The blades just chewed them up and spat out bits, so no complaints there.

Last test was the safety cut out. Feed in a few sheets and touch the feed slot and it stopped as would be expected. For me the cut-out wasn't necessary, there is no way I am going to get my stubby fingers near the blade, but this is essential if you have small children who may be able to get access to the shredder and experiment.

The paper shreds down to advertised size of 4x50mm which is more than enough to prevent ID theft and far better than a strip cut. The only level better than this is micro-cut or fire!

The bin is a good size with a little window for you to see if the bin needs emptying. The motor is a bit noisier compared to my old strip cut shredder, but quieter than some cross-cuts I have used. The motor is a bit weighty making it top-heavy, but it is fairly stable and not likely to tip over.

A good quality shredder that doesn't look likely to fall apart with small home office use. Currently this is selling for 75GBP though I think it should be more around the 60GBP mark. However, you do get a 2 year machine warranty and a 5 year cutter warranty - of course the proof of that pudding will be in the eating.

EDIT: I have now had this for a month and it has been in use almost every day as I am clearing out old invoices. I generally don't check the bin, but had cause to today. I noticed that on some occasions the cross cut didn't quite make it through, so there were the occasional strips. Some of the thinner receipts I had have been going through and clogging into the blades, so this may be the cause of the problem. Might be worth periodically clearing out and clogging - making sure you power off first.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-2 of 2 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 12 Apr 2013 13:21:05 BDT
Tomcatuk says:
Just a quick comment, I just bought one of these and your comment "....to very small squares.." mine does not shred to squares but strips 4mm x 50mm??

In reply to an earlier post on 12 Apr 2013 17:10:24 BDT
SBno1 says:
I just went to my shredder and checked the bin. They do look like small squares, but they are squashed up. Unfortunately I compared this to my strip cut shredder, it looked a lot better in the shredder bin. The Amazon description is right 4x50.

I need to edit my review to clarify this also I noticed when I put a few test sheets through just now, that some pieces never cross cut properly. It could be because I put in thicker paper. When I put in some thin shop receipts they did come out smaller, but I think this is because it bunches up as it goes through, gets caught in the blades and feeds through again. Looking through the bin I am starting to see some inconsistencies with the shred.

This has had a beasting, but I would expect it to remain consistent :-/
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item not available
Reviewer

SBno1
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)

Top Reviewer Ranking: 160