on 6 December 2013
I can't recommend this book enough! It's not just recipes, though of course 100 s are included. There is so much research and clear, well written chapters about what our modern, supposedly healthy diet has done to us and the disease resulting from this, and it just makes so much sense. The references are all there, and there are loads,- and Sally Fallon explains very clearly why cod liver oil, lacto fermented food, butter, raw milk and cheese from pasture fed cows, organic free range eggs, fresh,pesticide free vegetables etc etc are nourishing and full of essential vitamins, minerals and enzymes mankind has eaten in some form or other for million+ years in every culture and which has kept them healthy. She explains how modern marketing and share holder profits drive the huge food manufacturing interests and not the Consumers' health and well being . She uses many examples from both scientific research and anecdotal to illustrate exactly what is causing so many modern, life crippling diseases like cancer, heart problems, Alzheimer's and how we can help ourselves and our families to avoid them, and to a healthier way of living. It took me several months to decide to buy this book, but I have now given it as presents to friends , and even my sceptical husband is convinced of its truths! One of the most interesting, fascination and educational 'cook books' I have ever bought, and I have over 100. I was very happy to discover Sally Fallon is part of a world organisation called Wise Traditions that has yearly events in London and hopefully is a vital part of the much needed revolution we need to bring "nourishment as live giving " to the forefront of our culture. Brilliant!
July 2015- it's now a year since I started using this. Book and although I still think it's good, I would advise people to go cautiously as the amount of animal produce and fat does not suit everyone. I have suffered quite badly with my liver and gall bladder as a result of so much butter, cheese and fatty meat and have had to revise my thinking. Although I agree with much of her philosophy, a one. Size fits all approach doesn't work. The amount of coconut oil recommended daily was also way above what my body wanted or needed and I have cut that to I tablespoon a day which seems to work. I now have a small amount of meat if fish at lunch time and mainly pulses, fresh veg and broth as a light evening meal. My liver was so unhappy I ended up with black rings round my eyes like a panda! So moderation is a good way to proceed, in my experience.
33 Comments| 35 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse| Permalink
What's this?