on 23 September 2011
I have just reviewed a USB 3.0 docking station with USB card reader and my review is in relation of this HDD with that utility. I have had for a couple of years now, an eSATA docking station so that I could use drives without the need for opening the PC case. It was OK but firmware issues meant I had to reboot the PC if I wanted to change the disk, hot swapping wouldn't work.

With the USB 3.0 one, this has changed and opened up horizons for out-of-caddy drives. Enough of the prequel. I already have one of these drives (WD20EAX, so very slightly different). This I use for backup of my home-studio which generates something up to 100GB of data per song (96kHz) where a single instrument in one track easily surpasses 200-300 MB. This data is precious and irreplaceable as you can imagine, so reliability is the word. The studio has the performance scratch disks so what I needed was efficient, dependability. These drives deliver that in abundance. Low power and on the USB 3.0 docker, backups churn away quietly at a respectable 100 MBpS which means I'm not waiting around forever. I have a couple now so take one off-site to ensure that if there is a fire or some other disaster, I have backups to a few days ago secure in another location.

I wouldn't use one of these for a scratch disk for video or audio work but they have a huge thumbs up for storage & retrieval. 10/10 WD.
22 Comments| 11 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse| Permalink
What's this?

What are product links?

1. Find the product you want to reference on Amazon.com
2. Copy the web address of the product
3. Click Insert product link
4. Paste the web address in the box
5. Click Select

Please write at least one word
You must purchase at least one item from Amazon to post a comment
A problem occurred while submitting your comment. Please try again later.

There was a problem loading the comments at the moment. Please try again later.