on 20 May 2010
I'll admit it: I'm a live album luddite, a hater if you will.

I can't bear how the live albums consist of songs that have already been released, mangled by a new arrangement, muddied by bad acoustics and knackered musicians and sullied by a chanting mob whooping out the greatest hits in a toe-curlingly out of tune manner. To quote a stand up comedian my attitude could best be described as "make it sound like it does on the album.... no tricks!".

I am also a big Daft Punk fan, they have done great things and their space in my album collection is virtually hallowed ground. I can only point you to the infectious optimistic delight that is Discovery as proof.

Imagine my surprise when I found that the Daft Punk live album that I listened to with such trepidation was actually possibly the pinnacle of their recorded career.
They have taken tracks from Homework, Discovery and Human After All ripped them apart and put them back together as a sprawling beast of compelling driving beats lifted up and given focus and direction by fantastic tunes from all over their previous work.

Make no mistake, this is much more than the sum of its parts and a truly great album, live or not.
What's this?