on 25 January 2011
I watched the whole film. I think that earns me some sort of Brownie Points which I will be cashing in at the Celestial cinema.

In a nutshell this film was dull and forgetable. I was already forgetting it mid-way through watching it. Gripping it was not.

I watched it because I thought it might be a Hitchcock-style suspense / psychological thriller but it never came anywhere close to being suspenseful. The main reason was the lack of convincing period detail. I simply could not believe any of the actors were people in the 1950s. They always remained actors, woodenly going through parts they themselves did not care about. Boring.

Then I thought it might be an intellectual work, something that explores the BIG questions. But it never even attempted to think or to prompt the viewer to think. Intellectually vacuous. -- Big disappointment since I borrowed it from the University Medical School Library where it had been provided for medical students. I thought it was there to prompt people to think about 'the issues' associated with psychiatry and its stained history. Ha-ha!

I have derived more entertainment from watching paint dry. Don't buy this DVD. Don't even borrow it from your library.
What's this?