HALL OF FAMETOP 50 REVIEWERon 24 November 2013
Review for TomTom Go 5000. Aside from the screen size and always on connection I believe the experience will be the same across all recent TomTom devices.

I've been using TomTom for years in the form of a TomTom Go 530 and decided it was time for an upgrade. So far I've been pleased with the new unit. The interface has been massively redesigned compared to my old unit and I think it's better for it; even after owning it for years I could never find what I wanted in menus of the 530.

Setup was easy enough and I've made a few trips, long and short, with it.

I like:

- Automatic traffic updates
- Fast route calculation / recalculation if you make a wrong turn
- Pinch to zoom
- Stripped back interface
- Voice reads out names better than any other I've tried
- Quick and easy to find parking and petrol

I dislike:

- Search sometimes feels a bit slow to pull up results
- Can be slow in giving instructions sometimes, asking me to turn after I've passed the junction
- Even with the traffic information I've not actually been shown alternative routes on the small number of trips I've taken
- Updating took hours and the first time it failed (using Chrome) and wiped all maps from the unit, after looking online I installed Java and used Firefox and the unit was correctly updated

This unit comes with an always on connection so you don't need to worry about setting the time or getting traffic updates via your mobile. I opted for this as a few different (non technical) people will be using the unit and it makes it much easier than having to explain bluetooth to each person. If you are interested in traffic updates but don't want to pay for the always on connection I'm sure you'll be happy with the 500 or 400 which come in much cheaper than the 5000.

So far I'm happy with the unit, it just takes a bit of getting use to if you're a user of older TomToms.
0Comment| 23 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse| Permalink
What's this?