on 31 May 2010
A superb adventure story of Roman Britain.It's a book that can be enjoyed across the generations. I had it on my bookshelf when I was 13 and have it still - decades later. I know they have made a film of it which will be released later this year and I so hope they don't alter the story or make a bad job of it. They will be messing with a dearly loved book if they do.
The many previous reviewers have outlined the story. I want to praise the quality of the writing which makes me feel as if I'm there watching and seeing and feeling. I can see the intaglio emerald ring glinting on the hand of Marcus father and then on Marcus's hand when he regains it. I can feel Marcus pride in his first command, witness his energy and leadership as he defends the fort at Isca Dumnoniorum, and see the testudo formation he leads out to save the patrol trying to get back in. I remember and visualise Esca's memorable description of the mist 'licking up' the column of the lost Ninth as they march north. There are so many experiences and adventures to share.
I hope this book never goes out of print. It shouldn't. It's a classic and a most accessible one.
What's this?

What are product links?

1. Find the product you want to reference on Amazon.com
2. Copy the web address of the product
3. Click Insert product link
4. Paste the web address in the box
5. Click Select

Please write at least one word
You must purchase at least one item from Amazon to post a comment
A problem occurred while submitting your comment. Please try again later.

There was a problem loading the comments at the moment. Please try again later.

Product Details