VINE VOICEon 12 December 2010
"The Railway Children" is one of those rare films that entertains everyone in my family, from my 81-year-old mother to my five-year-old son and is perfect for a gloomy, wintry, Sunday afternoon. I've lost count of how many times I've watched it, but I still can't sit through the final scene without blinking back the tears - slightly embarrassing for a man in his mid-40s!

"Swallows and Amazons" is a different affair. The children's acting is variable and very little happens, but my normally cynical 11-year-old son was enchanted by it. I think he simply enjoyed watching a film in which children had complete freedom to come and go as they pleased, with only the minimum of adult supervision. What child wouldn't want to spend their summer holidays sailing around a lake and camping on uninhabited islands?

My mother fell asleep after 15 minutes.

I quite enjoyed "Swallows and Amazons". It plodded along a little, but the scenery was beautiful and I found the story delightful.

I would have happily have paid the cover price for either one of these films. To get both together at a price that is lower than some DVD rental places, makes this a real bargain. These aren't films you'll only want to watch once, so I'd thoroughly recommend buying this two-in-one set.
28 people found this helpful