on 8 November 2013
Wow, what an amazing start to a new series. I love urban fantasy series but some are stronger than others and this looks to be truly brilliant. The writing is sharp and witty, the characters are warm, funny, frustrating, loveable and very well rounded. I immediately fell for our heroine, Juliana, she is kick ass and snarky, but also smart and endearing. She was very easy to like, unlike in some fantasy books, and very believable, I am thrilled to see that there will be more to this series and will buy them without a doubt.

The world building is intriguing and well filled out, with vampires, mages, demons, fae and pretty much anything you can think of. We see some background into how the magical community got exposed to 'our' world and I would love to know more in future books on how that went down and how the world at large coexists. The story was fast paced with plenty of action. Even though so much happens in a short space of time I never felt like it got carried away and there was room for character development and getting to know all the relevant players. I can't wait to find out more about them, and as with all the best authors Kathleen Collins really makes me want to get to know them better. I don't like to compare directly to other series out there but in my opinion this stands up with some of the best of them. It's a great price too, really well worth every penny.
What's this?