on 19 March 2006
Many reviewers, especially in the US, say this book tells more about the US military than any other, is even based on real people, though no-one's really saying who. It is even being taken on as compulsory reading for the country's main military training establishments. It was reprinted mainly because of its popularity with military personnel. It's even been called America's 'War and Peace'. Try typing the title into a search engine and you'll see what I mean.
Me? What I know about the military can be written on a pin-head, but I read this book avidly in my teens (70s)and was so taken with it I've read it every year since, but don't take it on a mini-break because it's a 'big' book. It is definitely my favourite book of all time. The mini-series didn't do it any harm and I think the lead character was particularly well-cast, but I digress...
It's a people saga, knitted in with WWI, WW2 and Vietnam, with a couple of other campaigns in between and before. It tells the story of families and individuals in the military, never letting go of the military, about how politics and machination run and ruin good people's lives, even in peacetime. It does well what 'We Were Soldiers' tried to do, but failed to do in the time given over to a film. The characters are particularly well-wrought, I'd go to the ends of the earth with Sam Damon!
My copy is now so dog-eared, I thought I'd try Amazon to see if I could get a used copy, thinking it was out of print. I was surprised at its resurgence - not because I don't think the book's worth it, it means I can have a new copy of my very own and read it every year for the next 25 years.
What's this?

What are product links?

1. Find the product you want to reference on Amazon.com
2. Copy the web address of the product
3. Click Insert product link
4. Paste the web address in the box
5. Click Select

Please write at least one word
You must purchase at least one item from Amazon to post a comment
A problem occurred while submitting your comment. Please try again later.

There was a problem loading the comments at the moment. Please try again later.

Product Details