TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 11 March 2014
I received this as a birthday present and so far I am enjoying it a lot. I cannot understand how one of the reviewers on Amazon.com gave the book 1 star, saying he found it difficult to play! What do you expect; Dick Hyman is a professional Jazz Pianist and he is NOT going to write three blind mice arrangements of these 12 songs.

So yes the arrangements are difficult, and harmonically they do move the songs "into new territory" (Dick Hyman's own words). However I've spent some time playing the arrangement of 'The Way You Look Tonight', and whilst I certainly can't play it fluently IMO it is an excellent arrangement.

The songs are:
The Sweetest Sounds
This Nearly Was Mine
The Way You Look Tonight
We Kiss in a Shadow

My reasons for not giving the book 5 stars are as follows. 1. The book is the sort that over time might (it might not of course) result in the pages detaching from the spine. 2. I only know a couple of the 12 songs so need to listen to the original songs to find out whether the arrangements are all as interesting as the couple I've looked at.

In summary a well produced volume of sheet music. In classical terms I'd rate most of the music at a high grade, 7 or 8. The book is only 46 pages with an introduction by Dick Hyman.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse| Permalink