on 3 February 2013
This was my first encounter with Burroughs and I was...erm...yeah.

I bought it after getting interested in the idea of gay pirates (there's a song about this - Google it). So the novel jumps off the idea of a world in which a group of pirates decide to give up looting and pillaging to settle down to create a place where everyone could be free and equal. This did sort of happen in reality but these Utopian colonies didn't last very long - I think they all died through invasion and disease. But what would our world look like if those societies had been successful and flourished? At least I think that's what it's about.

Well, this being a Burroughs novel, things are not straightforward. For a start, everyone practices magic (which actually works) and also there's some weird sexual disease on the rampage and...look, it's hard to explain what's going on but that doesn't make it bad.

There's a LOT of sex. Lots. And body fluids. Themes of sex, death and ritual feature heavily. Anyway, I think I like it but it's hard to say. Sort of leaves you wanting a shower. Certainly very evocative - you can smell and taste this novel.

Ew. I need to brush my teeth...
2 people found this helpful