5.0 out of 5 stars Minor flaws but still the best target on the market., 25 Nov. 2013
This review is from: Spinning Four Flag Target, For Nerf Gun and Rifles, Rubber Band Guns & Rifles, Crossbow and Hand Bow, new design - a great Christmas present for any budding indoor assassins! Made in the UK!! (Toy)
Of course shooting Nerf guns at living targets is ever so much more fun, there are times when the rest of the family get rather fed of up with being used for target practice, especially when fishing yet another dart out of my tea. Just shooting without having anything to shoot at isn't much fun though, so we started looking for a suitable target. We had narrowed it down to three possibilities - this target and the two official Nerf targets. I had my reservations about the nerf ones as the basic one has quite poor ratings, and it appears that it may only work with certain darts and even then not very well. My son chose this because he thought seeing the target spin would be more fun than noises and lights. Needless to say I find something quietly spinning much more fun than noises and lights, especially as this often gets played in the living room.

This is just a simple wooden frame which folds flat for easy storage and three corrugated plastic cards with a large pin through them. At first we thought these were cardboard, which I would have found disappointing, but even with plastic, these will not be very sturdy. They are fine for something like nerf darts, but this actually comes up in a search for airsoft targets too. We do own several airsoft guns and I can guarantee you most of them would go right through this plastic. The target is 14" wide and 9" tall. The individual targets are 8" x 3", which is more than adequate to be able to hit more often than not from across the living room. We use this with regular Nerf darts and Nerf Vortex.

My oldest son loves this and has had hours of play with it. I like it too as it is quiet, does not require batteries and is somewhat educational since you have to add up your own scores. The targets are heavier at the bottom so they always stop spinning with the numbers upright which is nice as well, meaning no running back and forth to reset targets. It is well balanced too, and it never falls off the table when we shoot it. My youngest enjoys this as well - but he won't stay with it as long as with a living target.

My son and I both share the same complaint with target though. We both think the spinning targets should have been made of solid rather than corrugated plastic. This has fallen from a very low table ( about 24" and one target now has a slightly bent corner. I also feel that the frame is quite light and could be easily damaged. My children tend to be very careful with toys, but I could see some children breaking this very easily. I won't be rating down too harshly. This is much cheaper than any of the other alternatives and I do feel it is more fun as well. I suppose even if you only got a year out of the toy the price is fair enough, but personally I'd have preferred to pay just a bit more for something a bit sturdier. Even so, for the price of this, it would be a wonderful extra for a child receiving a new Nerf gun for Christmas. I am still glad I bought this, and in all honesty, if it did break I would buy another in fact I may buy another to customise with photos anyway. I would certainly recommend this for Nerf guns, but I would not recommend this for any type of pellet gun, airsoft gun, or anything that shoots missiles harder than Nerf darts.

I still would have liked a heavier plastic - but I do think this will last a few years at least, and I will buy another if anything happens to it. In fact buying a new target every few years would be sure to cost less than replacing the batteries in some of the electronic ones - assuming they last long enough to replace batteries. I have upped my rating to a full five stars though based on two new bits of information:

1 These are hand made in the UK. I like supporting initiative like this. This is the type of thing that helps small businesses to grow in our country - and may in time lead to more UK employment. Additionally, we don't have to worry about unfair working conditions or child labour with a small home grown business like this. I think we have to appreciate that it is harder to keep costs down in the UK, and this is sold an incredibly reasonable price.

2. This is made with wood from replenishable sources. I happen to be one of those people who likes trees - and I like knowing that the products I buy are not having a negative impact on the environment.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-4 of 4 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 26 Nov 2013, 07:09:18 GMT
Last edited by the author on 8 Jun 2015, 10:03:52 BST
. says:
WOW - What an amazing review. Thank you for such a well written and well presented, unbiased review of our product.

We make every one of these, and when I see the money people pay for items, £100s+ easily on guns and games I wonder why people complain that a target , hand made in the UK, from replenshiable wood, and only costing £8 or £9 is too expensive.

If treated properly this target will work for a long time. We hope to make next years model even better .. but for now we think we have a pretty good model for sale right now :-)

Surefire

In reply to an earlier post on 26 Nov 2013, 17:09:06 GMT
Broxi3781 says:
The price is certainly very fair and it is great to know this is hand made in the UK - so we are supporting a local small business, and about replenishable sources as well. I'll be sure to add this to my review on ciao, and in light of the fact that this hand made- and we assume under ethical working conditions if you are making these yourselves, and responsibly sourced, and the very low purchase price I will up my rating to five stars. To be honest, if I had to replace this toy every year it would still work out better value than buying batteries for some of the other models - and it is more fun. I do hope it will last longer too, in spite of the fact that this gets many hours of use per week.

In reply to an earlier post on 23 Nov 2014, 14:41:24 GMT
Where did you buy this from

In reply to an earlier post on 3 Dec 2014, 12:24:32 GMT