on 25 December 2012
Showcase Superman Vol. doesn't start from num 1 like the Marvel series do, but I think that is because most of the twenty years or so were quite pointless, or so outdated they would be difficult to read. Whatever the reason the Superman series starts at the end of the 50s giving us the first view of Brainiac and Bizzaro. It also introduces Supergirl to DC world along with the miniature city of Kandor that had been shrunk by Brainiac (played by Spike from Buffy the Vampire Slayer in Smallville).

This has been named as the Silver age of comics, it was a time when kids didn't have computers, nor the internet, a beautiful time when idiots like me couldn't spread our opinions to the world just those nearby, and since I'm a miserable git that doesn't happen often. This was a simple time as our elders would tell us, "full of honest and good people" that is what I get told by my elders who I must respect. Of course it was, it was a time when America would brainwash its citizens with the fear of Communists marching through their land (causing such fear that so many people hid behind the second amendment giving us our headlines we see today). A time when the colour of a persons skin would sum them up to others, "an honest time".

The silver age of comics sadly had more cheese in them than a cheesemonger, these comics seep with corny lines and stories that I found myself getting annoyed when I read them, just like I felt when I read the first lot of Captain America comics, or Avengers, or Batman, or any of them. They are overbearing with honour and doing the right thing, the darker side to these heroes haven't been shown yet, but at least with the older Marvel comics there was a bit more action. This Vol. of Superman has about five comics full of action, making me feel that they lie with the title Action Comics. There is the annoying elf from the fifth dimension, Superman turning old (he does this again in Vol. 2, talk about reusing a story), Luthor the mad scientist instead of just getting Kryptonite and making a dagger with it to stab Superman he makes all these pointless machines to stop him. There are so many villains from the DC universe that you see and are annoyed with because you see how great they become, and the stories are pretty outdated, they don't brainwash you against the Soviet Union like the classic Marvel did, but it is still enough to get annoyed with.

The old comics are what you expect them to be, but sadly these classic Superman comics annoy me because there are too many where nothing happens, just a bad guy has a plan, tries to trick Superman but he always knew what they planned and just gives the audience a wink. I'm sorry but I was hoping for a bit of a scrap in some of these pages. I usually read one or two comics before going to sleep, and I remember an entire week of reading them without Superman fighting anyone. Maybe that isn't the point of him, maybe it is just me, and if it is then I apologise if I offend you die hard fans, but all I say is that I hope the new film will have more of the modern comics about them.
11 Comment| One person found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse| Permalink
What's this?